Online backup service

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alphaod, Nov 16, 2009.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm looking for a backup service. I'm in an unusual predicament… unlike most regular folks, I have about 3TBs I need to back up. It will probably be around 250GB/month in increase if not more. This is just backing up essentials… not everything.

I don't want to pay a fortune; if it's cheaper to buy more HDDs and put in then in secure locations, I would do that, but the fact of the matter is that's inconvenient and it isn't cheap either.

I've looked at a few services… most only offer a few hundred gigabytes of storage. I've looked at Amazon S3… they will let me back everything up, but I'd be looking at over $1k per month in fees (which means it would be cheaper to buy drives).

Any suggestions?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

With that much storage you're not going to find much cheaper than S3. You are better off buying a couple Drobos and rotating them.

3. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks…

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

If this is critical data you need for work and not just pr0n then invest in a tape drive. Lto 4 drives are a bit pricey but the tapes are cheap.

5. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

carbonite is totally unlimited. Of course it would depend on your upload speed but assuming you had a connection that was able, it should meet your needs...

6. mfaye21 macrumors regular

7. alent1234 macrumors 603

I think Mozy is from EMC and is reputable. Seagate has their own service called i365. we use their corporate onsite backup software and our MS Exchange guys like it

8. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

If I included pr0n, I'd be looking at like 15TB :p Seriously though, I guess I don't really need 250GB a month… but 50GB is probably closer. Right now I'm burning Blu-ray disks to back up data (put into a safety deposit box), because well it's pretty cheap. But the problem is my data isn't accessible everywhere and it requires a trip to the bank which isn't open at all hours.

Oh my upload speeds isn't the issue. My problem with unlimited is, well, it's never unlimited. Always a reason to kick you off if you use too much space, or bandwidth.

Mozy is about twice as expensive as Amazon. I'm going to check out i365.

9. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

you could never do it with carbonite. I am playing with it and in 24 hours I have a total of 2 gigs backed up. yes they give you unlimited but the upload is so throttled back that you could never add much. about 60 gigs max a month.

10. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

like Steve, upload is going to be your issue

lets be generous and say you can do 10Mb/s upload (I get about 8, but its slow)

so 100 gigs = 100,000 megs / 10 per minute = 10,000 minutes = 7 days of constant upload -- and thats just for 100 gigs...

crashplan is another choice, and will let you do unlimited macs with unlimited storage for $5 a month...

EDIT: just to be clear, you have 250 gigs of *NEW* data each month to backup? Or 250 gigs on your drive that you need to backup incrementally?