online backup solutions for small business

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dantastic, May 19, 2011.

1. dantastic macrumors 6502

dantastic

Hi,

I'm a very small business and the whole business as such is on the harddrive of my computer. If I lose that I, as a business, am doomed.

So I'm currently looking at various backup solutions. At the moment I backup somewhat manually to a USB disk. I'm a small bit paranoid though and to cover all -what ifs- I would like to have a backup at a different location as well.

I'm just starting out as a business at the moment so I don't have a lot of money to spend on this. I equally understand this is my only form of insurance so it is a top priority.

What service are you using? What service can you recommend?
    I will be trusting my most sensitive data to this service so I need something that I can trust.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If budget is a concern for you, you should use that as a starting point. What is your monthly budget?

3. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502

dantastic

well, I don't actually know. what's reasonable? a tenner?
    I'm not going to store a lot of data, probably about 1GB over the year.

4. imahawki macrumors 6502a

If your data set is small, look at Mozy or Carbonite. I used Mozy but with my digital photography (lots of high rez files with edits often weighing in at 150MB PER FILE) my data set got too large and I thought my ISP was going to get pissed so I went to hard drive backups that I rotate off-site.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

DropBox offers 2 GB for free, with various pricing levels once you move past that. Can't really beat free.

6. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502

dantastic

small bit of dilema, both Mozy and Carbonite seems good. Carbonite offer unlimited storage at US$60 and Mozy at ~US$78. Mozy is however free up to 2GB. I haven't been able to compare the software they are using though.

I have a dropbox account, while that's all handy dandy it's more for sharing files and not for backup as such? You'll need to put in place your own encryption solution for instance with dropbox.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's encrypted on the DropBox end. You don't need to encrypt DropBox items any more or less than you have to encrypt Mozy or Carbonite items.

8. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502

dantastic

I stand corrected.

It's not as simple as the other ones but I have it already set up I suppose...