Online backup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lego8, Jul 19, 2008.

1. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

Hi,

I'm wondering what some reliable online backup solutions for my 15" C2D MBP are.

2. SkepticalMacMan macrumors newbie

good online backup for Mac...

Check out ElephantDrive - they've got an online backup and storage for Mac client that works pretty well.

Per the previous response, ElephantDrive actually works directly with Amazon.

http://www.elephantdrive.com/welcome/mac.aspx

3. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

In case any Mac users are thinking of trying Elephant Drive ... it sucks. The app feels like using Windows. Super slow uploads, not useable for more than a few MB's of data.

I've tried emailing support but no response. Anyone else "who's not a newbie spamming about this service" actually had good luck with it?

4. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I've used Mozy for a year (www.mozy.com). Good mac client, low prices and great support. Couldn't ask for more. Be aware that if your upload speed is slow like mine (1Mb/s) you're going to be spending a long time waiting for your first upload to finish!

5. crewrules101 macrumors member

If you are willing to shell out a few clams for this, MobileMe is a great solution. You receive and email address, contact and calendar syncing, and 20GB of online storage that is readily accessable from your mac. They also have webhosting at no additional charge. MobileMe is integrated with a Backup program made by apple called "Backup." For more info go here

6. purdueboiler87 macrumors member

I signed up for Backblaze and it seems to work pretty well. Their support was pretty responsive when I emailed them.

7. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Mozy's not bad, unfortunately they limit transfer speeds on the MozyHome plan, max is 1Mb/s upload to it takes forever to upload.

8. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I have MobileMe but I find iDisk unuseable, my home internet line is capable of 10Mb/s up and down but iDisk hangs all the time and I'll be lucky to get 1Mb/s or even half of that for uploading and downloading. I only rely on it for syncing my Macs

9. SkepticalMacMan macrumors newbie

Next time I won't share...

I'm sorry if anyone took my comment and had a bad experience. Just because I don't post often does not make me a spammer.

I happened to have a good experience that was relevant to the question and to the preceding post, so I posted. I'm sorry you thought it sucked, but I don't really care what solution you use - I would just prefer not to be accused of spamming simply because you didn't have the same experience I did.

In any event, I have noticed a major slow down in the upload speed since I started using it and I was told that a new client would improve this - but that was several weeks ago and I haven't seen or heard anything about that actually happening yet. So I can at least confirm part of your frustration.

Lastly, I want to add that I also agree that it looks/feels very Windows-ish, but that I could care less about that aspect.

10. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

yeah.. i signed up earlier this week and my first backup is 55gb (that's without my home movies and itunes)... it said 12 days.. and now its on about 6.5 days!!

my uploads are slow.. 800kB/s and that's off peak times.. i have to throttle it during peak times as my ISP will throttle me if i exceed their upload limit!

so far it's been pretty painless though... once i have this backup i'll then up the home movies ... my itunes library is about 70gb though, so that would take 3 weeks by itself! lol!

11. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I didn't call you a spammer because I didn't have the same experience you did. Forum and blog readers are sensitive to posts that don't sound real. When I read a favorable review and then check your number of postings, it's not that you don't post often, it's that you ONLY post favorable reviews of Elephant Drive with the odd criticism thrown in for balance. I apologize if by chance you're sincere, but like your username, I'm also skeptical by nature.

Thanks for the update on the new client. I've emailed their support twice about this and never received a response. Their slow to non-existent customer support is well documented on the internet so it's good to hear that you have had a good experience.

12. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Yeah, I know how you feel. I have 100+GB backed up on Mozy. Try renaming a large folder. I recently renamed a 50GB top-level photo directory from "My Photos" to "Photos", nothing else changed, took 2 days to finish sync check!

13. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

14. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Mozy bandwidth throttling sucks

Now I know why Mozy is taking so long to backup, seems the policy has changed and instead of 1Mb/s max upload, they're throttling down to 838 Kb/s. I wrote their support dept to express my disappointment - guess this is their sneaky way of saying enjoy your "unlimited" backup" plan.

Thank you for contacting Mozy Technical Support. My name is Kris and I will be assisting you. From the information provided in your email I understand that you are trying to turn off the bandwidth throttling

The Mozy for Mac actually always throttles at 838.7 Kb/s now instead of 1 Mb/s, there is no option to turn off bandwidth throttling, however there is an option to set the throttling time​