Online Banking Security on older 10.6.8

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by SD-B, Feb 25, 2014.

1. SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

Although my macs at home are up to date, we have a push now to update on Maverick to 10.9.2 coming out.

My workplace uses 10.6. so I am wondering if that opens me up to any issues with online banking because of it being slightly out of date?

Would I be MUCH safer to wait and do my online banking at home, or need I not be concerned and just use 10.6 to do it?

I know they say that you can be hacked in an non secure wifi area during a visit to the web site and someone I believe can hang in the middle and grab your info and so on..........is this common or am I just being paranoid?

I have some complicated banking, investments, etc and am not dealing with a $25 bank account balance, so I am quite curious as to what those far better at security than I have to offer with regard to my question?

Thanks in advance!! :)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple is no longer providing security updates for 10.6. I'd suggest using Chrome or Firefox as they are more up to date and support better SSL/TLS encryption types than Snow Leopard's Safari.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would say that if your hardware is capable of upgrading, you should really consider doing so. Mavericks is pretty stable and with 10.9.2 fixing current security bugs, I'd say it's more secure than Snow Leopard at this point. Particularly because no new updates are being issued for SL.

Mountain Lion is also being supported for security updates it seems, so if you're not comfortable with Mavericks, ML is another option.

If you can't upgrade, then definitely use Firefox, or Chrome instead, or another browser that's being updated and will run on SL. I wouldn't count on Safari for Snow Leopard being secure.