Online Cross Console Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by mouchoir, Sep 27, 2007.

1. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Does anybody know if PS3 and 360 owners with the same game for their respective consoles, play each other online?

For example, if they both had the new Pro Evo 2008?

If anybody knows, that would be great. I don't own either yet, but it may impact my decision on which I choose to buy.

Thanks,
    M

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I seriously doubt it, as they'd be running on two different networks (PSN and Xbox Live) and I don't think Sony and Microsoft are going to make games work cross-network. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Can't see it.

Hell, you couldn't even LAN between Mac and PC on Halo.

4. mouchoir thread starter macrumors 6502a

But you can play lan and online in COD and RTCW between Mac and PC!

Rats, was hoping their would be a chance... thanks for your feedback everyone. :eek:

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I could see it happening sometime this generation, but it would take a dev-house/publisher like SEGA, EA or id Software to do it.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sony's very open with the network, as are PC devs, but Microsoft insists that everything has to be on Live servers, so it'll never happen.

UT2007 has PS3/PC cross-platform play because Sony's letting PS3 owners use the PC servers.

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

A lot of 'Games for Windows' Online games now can play with 360's.

You still have to have a Live membership. I don't really think that'll take off, Live on PC, but you never know.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't think that can take off. I've been reading through some old computer mags (PC Format, 1997) and every other page is advertising some service called Wireplay. Reading the letters page it sounds like Windows Live (the online play bit) and even back when they offered something more than regular internet play (faster than current modems) it was still a slated system.

For the past 9 years we've had fast and working online multiplayers. Now MS wants to charge us just so we can play with people using a console? They should be celebrated for being the first to attempt this, but be castrated for trying to get money for online play. It's never going to happen, regardless of MS's recent slew of bull**** ideas - DX10 only in Vista, games even with DX9 modes only running in Vista, pay to play online.
    Poor attempts.