online document storage recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sir42, Sep 29, 2007.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

I have a MBP at home but I work in a small office on a Windows XP Pro computer. For the last few weeks I have been trying to setup an easy way to work on my work pc's files while at home. I tried Microsoft's RDC but my work computer is using a Cisco VPN that blocks this. I then tried gotomypc but I found it to be painfully slow and largely unresponsive.

My new thought is, would it be possible to use some sort of online document server that can be accessed from both my work PC and home Mac?

My ideal situation would be to have an online server that can be accessed directly through the Finder on my Mac and through Windows Explorer on my PC. I really don't need a GUI of my remote desktop like in gotomypc. I would just like to be able to work on basic word or excel files from multiple locations. Web based access to the files would be a plus, but I think it would be best if I had a folder on both computers that had immediate access to all of the files.

Has anyone done this? How quickly will a word or excel document open after selecting it? How quickly will it save a file that you're working on? And finally, what are the best services to accomplish this?

many many thanks!

2. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

dot mac

3. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually have a .mac account and just tried opening and saving a document and it seemed rather slow. I'd be willing to pay for a service that specializes in this if it's read/write times feel more like a local hard drive.

4. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just signed up for a trial with filesanywhere.com and there is a noticeable speed improvement over .mac. They also offer iphone login so that I can view my files on my iphone. Pretty cool.

5. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

To use RDC, simply set up a VPN from your MBP using Internet Connect (you will need to know the IP address).