Online Education Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by s7on3d, Jun 10, 2007.

1. s7on3d macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,
    I would like to buy a MBP on Apple's online store for education. My sister is currently enrolled at a university in the US.
    To access the store for her university all I needed to do was click that I am in fact a student or buying the gear I want to buy for a student...
    Is there any other form of ID nessicary when I checkout? Do I need her student ID number or something?

Thanks in advance,
    Ilan

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They do random audits of online purchases. So if she's the student, she should be the one purchasing the machine.

3. mkgm1 macrumors regular

Chances are that you aren't actually accessing the 'proper' higher education store - the site you're on won't be giving you the full (~15%) discount. To get that, you have to access the Apple site from your university's network.

4. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

15%? I thought that all edu discounts were the same. So a 1499 MB becomes $1399 on the edu site. that's less than 10% discount.

Has anyone gotten 15%?

5. Tibbar macrumors member

My school computer store says they subtract another 4% off the price of any educational-discounted Mac quoted from the online edu Apple store. Of course, if you aren't a student, I don't think you would get the full discount.

6. mkgm1 macrumors regular

I believe it varies from 10%-15% across the model ranges, if you order it from your uni's network. 15% is what you get on the MBPs afaik.

7. poke4christ macrumors member

Can you be more specific on this? I'm looking at MBPs right now and I go through the links online to get to the education store. Anyway, I get 200 off all the MBPs. For the cheapest, this is only 10%, not 15%. Now I'm not searching from within my universities network, but what difference should it make? Should I contact them and ask?

8. mkgm1 macrumors regular

Well I can't really be that specific on prices. There used to be some loopholes, through which you could access the online Higher Education store from wherever you were, even outside a university network, which showed up the 15% discount on the higher end 17" MBP (which was the only one I tried at the time).

All I know is that you get a bigger discount if either you access the Higher Education store from your university's network, or you phone Apple/go into an Apple Store with appropriate proof that you are indeed a student/lecturer etc. at a university.

It's definitely worth contacting Apple if you're still unsure - it's a toll-free number, so you've got nothing to lose.