Online Education store vs Developer Student Membership.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KTK1990, Jan 6, 2009.

1. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

Well, I was planning on waiting untill snow lepord, but my Hp Pavilion Dv8000t is about ready to die, so I need a replacement for it.

I am a student at a community college that is listed in the online Education store. But, I have herd that you can pay $99 and get a % discount off one laptop.

Is it 20%? 25%? 5%? I herd it varies by product. And which would be cheaper to get this laptop.

17 inch Macbook Pro.
    2.93Ghz processor
    4 gigs of ram
    the Anti-Glare screen
    The $99 printer. (Canon PIXMA iP4600 Photo Printer) (It should be free, there is a $100 rebate thing)
    And apple Care.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe it's 20%.

And I won't say don't get the 2.93GHz, as you may have your reasons.

3. KTK1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

I plan on using this pc as a desktop replacement. Putting Vista Ultimate 64 bit on it (100 gig Boot camp partition). Used for Gaming, Programming, 3d modeling... And when RAM prices go down, putting 8 gigs of RAM in it.

I also would like to have this laptop last a while. I found it is extremly expensive to upgrade the processors. It was around a $400 upgrade to get the better processor on my sisters Dell XPS M1710. And now to get that same processor it is around $1,500. I dont want to make that mistake again :p.

4. FuzzMonkey macrumors newbie

You're buying a mbp 17" to run....vista?

Just noticed the boot camp bit, whoops!

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Be aware that the 17" does not share the 15" Pro's user expandability. From the sounds of it, Apple does not officially support users replacing RAM or the HD themselves. :/

I'm sure it's doable, but it sounds like it'll be a bit of a PITA.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Do you know something we dont? :p whats wrong with the 2.93 version?

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It seems even worse then that, here's downside numero uno to unibody...

To limit the multiple threads, there is already one here about the expandability part...

8. KTK1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

I e-mailed the ADC people an go a reply earlier. One thing I noticed was the pricing wasn't how I thought. It was about $2,900 through education store. The ADC person said it was about $3,799 through ADC store with a student membership. But I priced it out through the regular apple store and it came out at around the $3,800 area.

Wouldn't the discount be around $600? (like 700 but $99 forthe membership)

9. easy-mac macrumors member

Please see here for the Apple Developer Store.
    http://store.apple.com/us_adc_38839
    The discount varies from computer to computer. For the computer you mention with the stock 320 GB 5400 RPM HD the price is $2834. The education store price is $2914. If you add in the $99 Student ADC membership then it's cheaper to go with the Education discount, but then if you want to upgrade to Snow Leopard when it comes out you'll have to pay for it instead of getting it for free through ADC. Note that I haven't included the price of Applecare in the prices listed above because it makes no sense to buy applecare from the ADC store, it's about $100 cheaper with the student discount, so just buy it afterwards since you don't have to buy it with the computer. Hope this helps.

10. KTK1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. It helps alot.

I am not a ADC member yet (Didnt want to pay the $99 if the education store was cheaper) So, it is telling me that I cant go in that store.

Do you think when Snow Leopard comes out that the iLife,iWork,Leopard (Mac Box Set) will be updated with Snow Leopard?

If so, that would be a great deal. About $170, and I can put Snow Leopard on that pc, and upgrade my iLife too.

11. easy-mac macrumors member

If that store isn't working for you just go to the Apple website and search ADC and select Apple Developer Connection from the drop down menu that pops up as you type, then click on learn more under the Mac developer program, then click on learn more under hardware purchase program, then click North America (if that is where you live), then in the first point under ordering information click on the link to the ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store. You don't have to be a member to look at the store, just to make purchases from it.

As far as the Mac box set goes, I don't think anyone knows exactly when Snow Leopard is coming out, but it looks like it won't be the 1st quarter of '09 since there was no mention at all of it in the Macworld Keynote. When it does come out there's no telling if they will include it in the box set or not, but one thing you should take note of is that the new 17" MBP is scheduled to ship in late January and so is iLife, so the new MBP will probably come with iLife '09 installed (I don't know for sure, just guessing), so it would be a bit of a waste in my opinion to buy the box set, not to mention you can upgrade to iLife '09 for $9.95 if it doesn't come with it. Maybe with the box set Apple is trying to convince people to upgrade to Leopard because you won't be able to upgrade to Snow Leopard otherwise? Again, just a guess.

12. KTK1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, Thanks for the help.

I was thinking that iLife 09 would come on it too. But what about if I upgrade to Snow Lepord? I think that might be a wipe the HD and re-install. Doing that I might lose iLife 09.

I also have a August 08, 3.06Ghz 24-inch iMac with iLife 08 on it :p. If I can keep iLife 09 on the MBP with snow lepord, then the iLife 09 install would go on the iMac, and I can just put iWork 09 on the MBP. Just because I already have MS Office Student edition on the iMac.

13. easy-mac macrumors member

The new MBP would come with an install disc for iLife '09 so even if you did have to do a clean install for Snow Leopard you would still be able to install it from that disc. Of course you could buy the box set and install iLife on one computer and iWork on another, but there is still no guarantee that Apple will bundle Snow Leopard with iLife and iWork when it comes out, but if they did that would be awesome and I'd buy it :D I would still suggest doing the ADC purchase program because Apple will release Snow Leopard this year unless something goes terribly wrong and you'll get it for free with the membership, so unless you really want iLife '09 on another computer just buy iWork '09 for $79 or the family pack for $99, but in my opinion MS Office for Mac is a lot better than iWork except for maybe Keynote, but then again that's iWork '08 I'm comparing to. From what I hear though a lot of people are having trouble with some of the new features of iWork '09, especially in Numbers, so I'd wait on that regardless while the kinks are worked out.