Online experience with the PS3... any good

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by asphalt-proof, Aug 30, 2009.

1. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I remember when the PS3 came out that reviewers really did not think much of the PS3 online experience and pointed people to the XBOX 360 as a much better online place even with the $$.

I am looking at buying a PS3 in the next month or so but was wondering what the current state of affairs were for the PS3 online. Any good? Are the menus straight forward? Hooking up with friends? Extra media available (i.e Netflix... I know, XBOX only). Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

2. gniss39 macrumors regular

I'm interested in this too. I really like the ps3 especially with the recent price drop and release of the ps3 slim. I'm more of a casual gamer so I wouldn't play too much but would like to hope online every once in a while but don't want to pay XBL monthly fee if i won't be using it every other day.

3. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

It's not terrible, it's just not XBL. The one thing I really wish it had was cross-game voice chat and in-game private party chat. I like playing my PS3, and play a lot of online games (Warhawk, CoD, Fat Princess, etc). It's as easy as going over to multiplayer in a game and joining a game. What features in online play are you looking for? Because the PS3 might not have some of them.

4. chandler99 macrumors regular

considering its free, I think its extremely good.

XBL as its a subscription service will always be a bit more slick. But at £40 a year it has to be.

I play COD5, Fifa09 and Gran turismo with no problem what so ever ;)

5. gniss39 macrumors regular

I don't mean to hijack the thread from the OP but I have never played online on a console. I'm looking for a nice menu that displays the game type, how many players are in it, etc. As for voice chat options I would just like to chat with my teammates in game and my PSN friends when we're out of games to decide what to do.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

All those things you can do in XBL.

All those things you wish you can do in PSN.

That's the subscription difference...... ;)

Seriously though this is true. Game invites, cross chat, personal chat, unified access etc... all present and correct in XBL, and you will rarely play a LIVE game without there being communication, on PSN it's rare for people to even talk in my experience.

Playing a game like GRAW, VEGAS or Modern Warfare on XBL is a totally different experience than on PSN mostly down to the fact that you are communicating and you feel like a proper member of a team, and not just 'another' guy shooting stuff. It fosters better camaraderie in that sense too.

It's not without it's faults, but hey it's a better system than currently offered in PSN.

This is all not to say that PSN couldn't eventually bring these features to the PS3 masses, however so far it hasn't really done so (though there have been 'some' improvements, and we are some 3 years in ?

When or if Sony finally incorporate a lot of these features, then we can all give out at M$ for charging us for Live. Until then however I think the argument over cost is mute.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

On the server side PSN runs smoother than LIVE because of the dedicated servers but communication goes to LIVE....theres always people talking and having a good time on LIVE. MS made it easier to connect with friends/communicate than PSN and thats the edge it has.

PSN has cross game text chat:rolleyes:, game invites and certain(not all) games have the option to follow your friends into a match. PS3 exclusive games all run on dedicated servers so lag/hiccups are minimal but only certain games you will find a lot of people talking...like SOCOM, RBV2.

Both networks are good for playing online but LIVE has the edge in the seamless communication department.

Bless

8. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

The 360 is hands down the winner in this contest. I have both, and the PS3's online setup is almost like it was an afterthought. It's ok as a media player, as a gaming rig it sucks. (in my opinion, of course)

9. gniss39 macrumors regular

Dang I had no idea PSN was so bad. I was leaning towards getting a PS3 with the new slim coming out. I liked how it used more energy and was more quiet compared to the loud 360 and apparent "high failure rate" everyone is talking about. Perhaps I'll have to reconsider. I'm going back to college in 2 weeks and will try PSN on my friend's PS3 to see how I like it. THanks for the feedback

10. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Thought I would chime in here...I use to have a 360 until I got the red ring of death.

I purchased a slim last week over a 360 since online gaming was free and the Blu-Ray player. My favorite game by far is Battlefield Modern Combat - so I thought I would be able to replace it with BF Bad Company - well I was wrong. I miss my BF MC. :(

I have to agree with those above - the online gaming experience on the 360 is MUCH better.

I'm considering taking my slim back to Best Buy - however I'm not sure if they will take back gaming consoles. :confused:

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

PSN has been out for less time than XBL has. Considering it's free, I find it awesome. There are new features coming with every significant update (1.x) so it catching XBL. I don't understand the thing about XBL's goodness. Every time I ask what's so great in XBL, I never get a good answer. OK, it has few minor advantages like better chat (you can chat while in gaming)

12. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Reason XBL is better than PSN - it just is.
    Sorry I couldn't reset. :D

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's hard to put a finger on exactly why it is... But as I said in my post, games that are multiplayer based tend to rely heavily on co-operative gameplay. Communication is therefore essential, and really does change the way you play and the reward for doing well or poorly. Camaraderie with other players just doesn't really happen on PSN, where it does on XBL. It's the simple things that make life special, and they also make the difference.

PSN is NOT BAD! It's very good too - but it often makes you feel like your just 1 player amongst many other anonymous peeps. Most people don't communicate in PSN games at all. You could often be playing against BOTS for all the reward and satisfaction you get for fragging them.

When you have a team of 16 people - all in a clan - playing something like GRAW 8x8 match - all talking and having fun. It takes multiplayer to somewhere utterly different.

So again in reflection it may not only be technology thats more refined on Live the makes it better, but the the way players attitude and approach to Live as opposed to PSN that makes it a better experience.

So yeah it hard to fathom why 'EXACTLY', but it is......

But PSN is good too, it works (most of the time) and is free (which is always good), but if gaming console wise, multiplayer is where you really are looking to invest a lot of time and focus in. Then IMHO and many other peeps, Live is the way to go.

Besides you can get 12 months membership a lot cheaper on ebay ;)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You get a good reason each time you post that same request. You just don't accept it ;).

15. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to clarify: Is the cross chat not available in some/all/ games on the PS3? Or is it just not utilized by people?

I haven't had much experience with Live other than at my bro-in law's. But i will say that for the most part, it was very easy to use and pretty slick. Not that I am a Luddite by any means, but I don't like to show my noob-ness for all to see, therefore, i can be reticent to get online. there were some aspects that I had to be walked through by a friend, but for the most part it was pretty easy to navigate. I want the same on the PS3 for myself, and for my family. If my wife can do it with minimal interference from myself, or not have to be taught some arcane navigation route just to play a game, she will be more likely to get online and play.

I was actually leaning toward the XBOX and was willing to pay the $40 or so for Live (along with the Netflix access and L4D), but the possibility of a red ring (my bro-in-law went through 2 boxens in the past year and half) has made me examine the PS3 more closely. The online experience is not a deal breaker but from what i read when it first came out was that it was so horrible that it was useless trying to even play online. It sounds like its better and fairly easy. Cross talk is not a deal-breaker either, but it does make the game (COD4, L4D) much more enjoyable.
    ;)

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Okay let me break it down for ya:

LIVE: Seamless interface for connecting/playing/talking with friends with on par P2P servers(some games offer dedicated servers)

PSN: TEXT based cross game chat with dedicated servers(Majority of the exclusive games) gamers don't talk much over PSN but there are games like SOCOM, RBV2 and some sport games where everyone uses their mic. The interface is not seamless as LIVE but its not difficult to use.

Both service offer smooth online play....just pick the one you think fits you.

Bless

17. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I believe that I will be getting a PS3 and TV pretty soon.

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Actually, that was second time I posted something like this here. :p Though I've posted it to other forums like million times.

I don't accept it if I don't get a good answer. MacRumorUser posted a great post, it has many good points, maybe because he wasn't on either side. About the mic thing, yes, there are more micced players in XBL and cross chat is possible (still waiting it to arrive for PS3), maybe because mic comes with X360 but not with PS3. Servers, hmm, haven't really noticed difference. KZ2 has amazing multiplayer because it has its own servers.

Anyway, I don't want to start a console war again so lets just say, everyone picks that one he likes. Usually choice is made because of friends, if you friends have all X360, then you get one too. :cool: