Online or Brick & Mortar

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dfense, Jul 2, 2007.

1. dfense macrumors newbie

I am in the market to buy a new stock MBP, and happen to have the good fortune (well, my wallet may disagree) of being less than 2 miles from an Apple Store.

I was wondering if there would be any potential detriment from buying at a brick and mortar Apple store, as opposed to buying online. Specifically, should I be concerned about the shelf life of the MBP? That is, would I be missing out on any new features by buying a laptop that may have been sitting in the back room for a month or more, as opposed to buying one off of assembly line? Are there any differences in quality that other buyers have noticed? Thanks in advance for any tips or advice. :apple:

2. falsecathedrals macrumors member

theres no reason not to buy a mbp from a brick and mortar apple store. the apple stores have been sold out of mbps across the country, so your laptop would be from a fresh shipment. it also makes for easier exchanges. I would just make sure you call up the apple store and put the computer on hold the morning you want to get it to make sure they have it and don't sell out later in the day.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Advantage of a brick and mortar store is that you get a real sales receipt, so returns are much easier.

Disadvantage is that you have to pay sales tax, which you can avoid if you buy the computer from an out of state online retailer.

4. oscuh macrumors 6502

You'll have certain delay from factory to your hands, regardless of where you purchase. Shipping time from China alone will be a factor there. The only time I'd see any difference might be in a super-customized MacPro, and again, it won't matter where you buy, only guaranteeing that you're getting one built "just for you." Since you are going stock, again, non-issue.

I'd say go into the store, ultimately. Theres no substitute for doing a final hands-on assesment before you write that check or swipe your Visa. After all, you might decide stock isn't really what you want or a Blackbook might serve your purposes better, etc etc.

Have fun with your new purchase!

5. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I'd say brick and mortar. Like has already been said, makes returns a whole lot easier. Plus, Apple stores are so cool, why not take the chance to go into one! :D

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Go for the brick and mortar store. The Apple Store is an experience. Plus, your proximity to one makes it much easier to go and pick it up. There's also that value of instant gratification:D