Online Ordering and Keyboard Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lady Arwen, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Lady Arwen macrumors member

I plan on getting a 64 gb wifi iPad. I am going to order it online on March 11th. What are the chances they will be all sold out? If I order an iPad online, will I definitely get it within the next week or two? I'm scared Apple will run out.

Also, I'm planning on getting a keyboard. Can someone explain the benefits of the bluetooth keyboard or the port keyboard?

Thanks!
    Lady Arwen

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Can't help you on whether Apple will sell out of iPads. We are all on the same boat wonderig whether there will be enough to go around. Even Apple couldn't tell you, they won't know until the orders start coming in.

As for bluetooth vs dock, dock keyboard only works with the iPad in portrait. But with bluetooth, you have to look for a place to stand your iPad. Bluetooth keyboard is sleek and easy to slip into a bag. Dock keyboard, the dock kind of makes it an awkward shape that I imagine could be harder to carry. That's all the differences I can think of at the moment.

3. Lady Arwen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replying so quickly! Will the website also be open for preorders at 5pm? If I order, say at 5:05, will I be more likely to be in the first round? If I'm not quick enough, how long will I have to wait for the second round of iPads?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sorry, no idea about when online ordering will open. I suspect it will open much earlier than 5pm, though. In fact, it could be as early as 12am on March 11th, most likely California time.

And sure, the earlier you get in your order, the more chances you have of being in the first batch of shipments. But again, nobody, including Apple, can tell you how long the wait will be if you miss out on being in the first batch. It all depends on how many orders they get, and there's just no way to predict that.

5. Lady Arwen thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks again for replying so quickly! This is actually my high school graduation gift, but my parents said that I could have it early. I just hope to get it before late April/early May. I assume more information will come out on when online orders begin? I want to order as soon as preordering begins.

6. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Well, I called and the rep said you can order march 11th 301 am est for online ordering.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, congrats on your upcoming graduation! And I think you totally don't have to worry, if you get in your order sometime on March 11, you'll probably be able to get it within March, early April at the latest.

8. Lady Arwen thread starter macrumors member

Three in the morning isn't bad at all! I'll be up around 4 to place my order. That sounds great. :) I appreciate everyone's help. I'm not new to apple, but I am new to getting their products right after release. I'm so excited for my iPad!
    Now.... to decide bluetooth vs. port keyboard.

9. freddy425 macrumors regular

I'd go bluetooth keyboard, you can use the ipad in both landscape and portrait orientations and you can use it on your MBP or whatever you have at home, you just have to make sure you unsync your ipad with your mac before you start using your ipad or you will be typing on your mac instead of your ipad