Online Ordering and Upgrade Eligibility Swap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by catalyst6, Oct 4, 2011.

1. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Going to burn one of our upgrades on the 4S and move it to my line, but I am unsure of the process for doing this via the Apple store online.

I don't want to interrupt any service on the actual line I'm swiping the upgrade from, so when I pre-order on Friday....do I have to select the services (txts, data, etc.) that match the existing features on the line and just my micro sim once the phone arrives?

I was under the impression that you make plan selection when activating via iTunes with the appropriate SIM installed. Perhaps this has changed and they require you to make these selections up front?

tl;dr I want to order the phone without modifying or interrupting the existing plan and swap sims once it arrives

2. iSkier macrumors regular

I am curious as well. I don't really understand the process of an iPhone pre-order online. Can someone who did this with the 4 walk us through the steps of it? What does it entail?

3. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

You left out an important piece of information: What phone are you upgrade swapping from? Some things to consider:

The iPhone 4S will use a micro-SIM card. If you're not upgrade swapping from an iPhone 4, you will need to get a micro-SIM from AT&T or convert it.

If you're not coming from an iPhone, you will need to remove the data plan that was added at the time of the 4S purchase.

The process might be different from years' past because iOS 5 is "PC Free" and claims that it can be activated without using a computer, bypassing iTunes on your machine.

4. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

In a similar situation. I might actually need to do two of these.

1. The upgrade is coming from someone with a 3G, but only the 15$ data plan. I have the unlimited data plan.

2. The upgrade is coming from someone without and iPhone and without a data plan. Person ultimately getting iP4S has unlimited data.

All phones have family unlimited texting.

How do I go about this?

Do they start charging you with a data plan right as you order it? It seems like they shouldn't be allowed to charge you with a data plan until you activate the phone.

5. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

Here's how you do it...

1) Order the iPhone online under the number that is eligible for the upgrade.
    3) Wait for phone to arrive.
    2) Call your wireless carrier's customer service number as soon as you have the phone in your hands and let them activate the new phone on the different line.

It's pretty much this process for any carrier...

6. catalyst6, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

catalyst6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I currently have an iPhone 4, but this is a good point

Right, that makes sense, but I seem to remember the ordering process involving the selection or modification of data plan/texts/minutes at the time of preorder. This could be incorrect, it's just my recollection.

7. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

If I'm understanding this correctly:

1. 3G person is getting iPhone 4S (keeping their 3G) and giving it to you? When they purchase the iPhone 4S, they should add identical plans/services. You don't change anything because you would lose unlimited. But you will need to somehow get a micro-SIM card and put it in the 4S.

Can you elaborate more on 2? What device does the ultimate recipient have? If it's an iPhone (which I'm guessing it is if they have unlimited) then it's the same as above. Only difference is that the upgrader will need to cancel the data plan.

8. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

Same situation...

You'll be forced to place a data plan on the number being upgraded, but it shouldn't be active until the iPhone is active. All your need to do is call customer service and they'll remove any added features from the "other" number...

9. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

While I'm sure this would work, personally I wouldn't do that. The iPhone 4S will activate itself, whether it's over the air or through iTunes connected to a computer and be fully compliant on the network. The customer service representative may start making adjustments and you might lose any grandfathered plans, as a result.

If you got a completely new iPhone (with different serial, IMEI numbers, etc) through AppleCare, you wouldn't need to call customer service. Just plug it in and it will take care of itself. This situation is hardly different.

10. catalyst6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

So you are suggesting (in my case) to just take out the SIM it arrives with and put in the one from my iPhone 4, then activate. This removes the risk you mentioned?

11. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

... but you would still need to either call customer service or edit features on the carrier's site to remove the data plan from the non-smartphone account...

I wouldn't worry about losing unlimited data. That's an issue I'm sure they deal with frequently tbh...

12. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Not in the situation of 1. above.

13. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

True... true...

14. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

As long as you're swapping from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S and your micro-SIM has the unlimited data plan attached to it, yes. iTunes (or whatever) will take care of the rest. Just remember to backup your iPhone 4 so all your content will get delivered to the 4S.

Edit - I guess I should say that I've upgraded and upgrade swapped every phone since the first iPhone. This is what I've done in the past, but if AT&T is doing something different this year then we may have to look into it further.

15. catalyst6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I guess more will be revealed on Friday once we see what the online ordering process looks like. I was just trying to think ahead as I am expecting servers to go down quick (if it's anything like last year) ;)

16. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

My apologies. I could have made that way more clear.

1. I have an iP4 with unlimited data. Person with upgrade available has 3G with $15 data plan. I want the iP4S, the other person will get my old iP4.

2. Person A has a 3GS with unlimited data. Person B has a non-iPhone with NO data plan, but has an upgrade. Person A wants iP4S, Person B wants 3GS with $15 data plan.

This is some excellent advice your giving. Thanks a bunch!

17. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I'm sure you can go into the att store today and tell them to switch the upgrade dates so you can pre order without a hassle. lol

18. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

1. The person with the iPhone 3G should order the iPhone 4S, and check off identical plans/service whenever it is asked. When the 4S arrives, put in your micro-SIM card. Then turn it on and activate it*. If the system asks, make sure you choose identical plans/services. The iPhone 4S is now on your number. The person who is getting your old phone needs to get a micro-SIM card from AT&T before they can use the iPhone 4.

2. Person A will need to get a micro-SIM card before they get the iPhone 4S. And then person B adds a new $15 data plan when they activate the phone through iTunes. Otherwise, it's the same as above.

Do keep in mind that these iPhones should be backed up before you start swapping. Then you can restore all of your contacts, media, and other info onto the phone.

* The advice I'm giving is what I've done in the past, based on activating the phone through iTunes. This year, iOS 5 has a "PC Free" activation feature. I don't know what this means, or what impact it will have on upgrade swapping, but it is something to look out for. I've been looking for answers, so far I've found no information. Going in the store is always an option, but be sure to tell the AT&T representative not to do anything with the unlimited data plan.

19. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I have one more question. In scenario 2 (the non-iphone and 3GS scenario). What if the person without an iPhone and without a data plan, doesn't want the 3GS and doesn't want a data plan. Can they "sign up", and then remove the data plan.

20. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

That's what I've done in the past. If they don't want an iPhone they can just call 611 as soon as possible and cancel the data plan.

However, if at some point in the future they decide to use that iPhone 3GS, they must have the data plan. Even if they don't call AT&T and officially add a data plan, the AT&T network will detect it and may automatically add the data plan.

21. Jcazz macrumors newbie

Jcazz

To make sure I understand the plan here:

* I have an iP4 - not yet upgrade eligible
    * Wife has an old flip phone on family plan - off contract

I should:

1) Upgrade her line on Friday
    2) Call ATT and switch iP4s to my account
    3) Activate iP4s on my account
    4) She won't have data (or I'll have to cancel data plan)

End result: I have iP4s and she still has flip phone?

If I do this - does the 2 year contract follow her line or mine? I don't mind being w/ AT&T another 2 years, just curious who I'm committing to the next 24 months. :)

Thanks!
    Jacob

22. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

You don't have to call AT&T for anything for your line. Your wife orders the phone (and data plan) on her line, you put your micro-SIM card in the iPhone 4S, then turn on the phone. The iPhone 4S will activate on your line either over the air or when you connect it to iTunes.

You wife will then need to cancel the data plan, and she has a new twenty-four month contract.

23. Jcazz macrumors newbie

Jcazz

Cool beans; thanks for the info. +100 to you, sir!

PS - There's no problem canceling the data plan right? I hate to be stuck paying an extra $15 for nothing for the next two years.

24. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

You just need the imei of a non-smartphone to give to them so they can remove the data plan.

25. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

It's never been a problem in the past. The two-year contract stipulates that you remain a customer at least with a voice plan for that length of time. There are many who either lose, break, or have their iPhones stolen and don't replace it with another one. AT&T will let them cancel just the data plan.