Online Ordering, Pre-Ordering and 611

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abtm, Sep 19, 2012.

1. abtm macrumors member

I wanted to put this here because the last time I tried to do something in the pre-order thread it was buried within five minutes. I work at an AT&T store in NJ and I just wanted to help people with their confusions.

This is normal. AT&T has a separate entity/department at a UPS warehouse called "Fulfillment" they do all the e-Com or "E-Commerce" orders. Packing, Shipping, Returns, etc. Essentially, AT&Ts web designers were too lazy to include a "Preorder" column" and so Backorder/Preorder are the same. I repeat, they ARE THE SAME. This is NOT to get your hopes up if you ordered your phone after 12pm PST.

Simple dial 866-267-4510. They will verify your identity differently than AT&T will. They will ask for the Shipping Address, Zip Code, Last four of social and shippers name/order name.

No they don't. No they didn't. Anyone who tells you DEFINITIVELY you're getting, not getting a phone is speculative. All I can say is that if you ordered BEFORE 12pm PST with at least an hour or two head time, you will PROBABLY get your phone 9/21/2012.

Couple of reasons why that might have happened (besides me being a liar)
    • You ordered too late
    • You had a negative account balance, your service was suspended for non-payment.
    • God hates you
    • Phones are shipped from a warehouse and are fulfilled in FIFO (First In, First Out). You may still get it. Shipping is next day overnight and they fulfill orders till 5pm EST

Shipping from AT&T is not as easy as "Sup? Pick up my box brah!".

Imagine, there are TWO MILLION preorders you have to fulfill. How the hell do you even do that? I mean seriously? Here's how it works...
    • Labels are stored in a system and retrieved and printed ala FIFO
    • Packing slips are printed alongside each Label (both are done at the same time
    • The box is then stuffed with paper, an iPhone some bubble wrap and packing slip.
    • Box is taped up
    • Label applied
    • Put onto skid for UPS to pick up at 4pm CST

Now, ask yourself. This process is almost entirely done by hand. How fast do you think YOU could do it? If you can come up with a faster way, I'd love to know it.

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

great post... though I would not have put in a phone number for all these people to call in

There was a good video posted last night showing the UPS facility in Texas preparing the 3g for shipment

Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=259PVhZTojw