Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jen78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Hello all,

I'm hoping that someone here will have some suggestions for me for an online storage solution that I can use with just the iPad. My situation is that I'm shortly going traveling for a year with my partner. I enjoy taking photos and I have got a new camera for the trip (Sony HX5V) (very impressive by the way although my iPad can't handle the video it seems - but that is another topic) I'm taking my iPad 2 (32g WiFi) and my partner is taking his 11" MBA. He is going to continue to work while we travel so won't want me stealing his laptop to process the many photographs I will take.

I want secure online storage with plenty of space (I am prepared to pay for this). It needs to handle the exif data with the file so that I can plot our route with photos on my blog later. It also needs to be able to show thumbnails and be able to sort into albums. Most importantly - I don't want this to be public. It seems the default for most companies is to share everything with the world; I don't want to share anything - I'll post what I do on the blog. I also don't want t pay for downloading the files again later, or, only be able to upload 5 at a time.

I have looked, honestly, but none of them ever seem to tick all of the boxes.
(I love Dropbox by the way but the iPad's memory can't handle it for photos)

Sorry, this has turned into an essay... any ideas? Thanks :)

Jen78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Hello, thanks!

Re: Picassa I discounted it ages ago I think because of the upload limit, in South East Asia (where we are for the year) we're not going to be connected all the time so I wanted to upload as many as possible at a time (perhaps while we're asleep?) However, having just looked at the new update it does seem to tick a lot of boxes. Can you keep everything, like the maps with photos on, private? or, if I say had all location data imported as standard and made into a lovely google earth map, do those photos automatically go into the google earth banks forever? And, do you think I could set up a big upload to go overnight (on possibly very slow internet) rather than do 5 at a time?

People may think I'm being paranoid and that everyone should be able to see our travel snaps but as a teacher I'm very aware of how if something is made public it is out there forever. (I'm the person who won't put up photos of anyone on facebook, only places and things.)

Re: The hyperdrive - I didn't think any external drive would work! I'm very impressed but the prices are higher than I would pay for a few years of the most expensive service and we're going 'hand luggage only' so every square inch is vital. But, great idea though - thanks.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
In flickr you can make pictures private by default, and put select photos in a private album if you want.

I think with paid account you can re-download with no limit in storage. Not sure about exif though.

Jen78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Hello all,

Thanks for the info. I'm opened a Picasa web albums and started to use it on the mbp - now just need to get it on the iPad. I think I'll pay $20 for 80gb storage for the year. You can indeed keep everything private. :)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Any fileserver...
Setup a sftp type server, several apps out there can send/receive to. Could setup on your home computer, even better a friends comppiter as well in case something happens to yours while your gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.