Online Platforms for Meeting New People

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RMD68, Oct 1, 2014.

1. RMD68 macrumors 6502

Although there are many major popular platforms for social networking, I haven't found good platforms for meeting new people.

FaceBook, Twitter etc. are great for keeping up to date with people you already know and following famous person's PR reps, but it isn't especially suited for forming new bonds.

I know there are dating sites, but what if someone was looking to expand their social network aside from dating? Hooking up is easy. There are plenty "analog" and digital scenes for those types of encounters, but what if someone was looking for other contacts including:

-friendships
    -discussion
    -sports talk
    -gaming
    -word of mouth advice
    -shooting the breeze
    -etc.

I understand the stigma with online socializing back before everyone was online, but it surprises me that in a world where people are so imbedded into Facebook, there wouldn't be legit options for new connections aside from message boards.

Are their any legit platforms for something like this (Apps, communities)?

We live in a world where people move all over, and start new lives, yet we hold onto Facebook profiles of distant contacts from year's past.

Anyway, thank you in advance for any help!

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

What are the illegitimate options?

You might meet more people on message boards if you posted a bit more often...

;)

3. RMD68 thread starter macrumors 6502

When you search for something like "meet new people online," there are a plethora of hits, but a lot of the sites seemed shady.

For instance the largest platform as well as the most common hit was for a service called Badoo. When you look for reviews of the site, aside from the Google App for it, the user reviews are overwhelmingly negative.

Message boards serve their purpose, but they are too impersonal, and they aren't real time.

I'm actually am surprised that in 2014 there are well established products for this issue. People do everything online.

/shrug

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Oh, real time? How about IRC?

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Perhaps you ought to check out those "analog' scenes you speak of. Meeting new people, like hooking up, is easy. You just need to put yourself out there.

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Meetup.com is just for this. Great for finding all sorts of local gatherings in your area (book clubs, hiking, movie watching, dining groups, etc.)

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

8. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

How cool would that be, to meet the right Mac girl on Macrumors? :cool:

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why not? I've met over 20 members here and many are good friends. Then again, MR isn't nearly the same place it once was.

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Another vote for Macrumors. It's where the cool kids are at.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually I've met lots of people through Foursquare.

14. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I agree. Especially if you are in a more urban area. I found a FileMaker Pro developers group there. Haven't made any of the meetings yet, but I have talked to some of the people. And the site makes suggestions for other groups you might be interested in.

15. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Because there's no good way to meet potential IRL friends online, only meet ups for common-minded people. Join a local club, etc. OP.