Online Platforms for Meeting New People

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Although there are many major popular platforms for social networking, I haven't found good platforms for meeting new people.

FaceBook, Twitter etc. are great for keeping up to date with people you already know and following famous person's PR reps, but it isn't especially suited for forming new bonds.

I know there are dating sites, but what if someone was looking to expand their social network aside from dating? Hooking up is easy. There are plenty "analog" and digital scenes for those types of encounters, but what if someone was looking for other contacts including:

-friendships
-discussion
-sports talk
-gaming
-word of mouth advice
-shooting the breeze
-etc.

I understand the stigma with online socializing back before everyone was online, but it surprises me that in a world where people are so imbedded into Facebook, there wouldn't be legit options for new connections aside from message boards.

Are their any legit platforms for something like this (Apps, communities)?

We live in a world where people move all over, and start new lives, yet we hold onto Facebook profiles of distant contacts from year's past.

Anyway, thank you in advance for any help!

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I understand the stigma with online socializing back before everyone was online, but it surprises me that in a world where people are so imbedded into Facebook, there wouldn't be legit options for new connections aside from message boards.
What are the illegitimate options?

You might meet more people on message boards if you posted a bit more often...

;)

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
What are the illegitimate options?

You might meet more people on message boards if you posted a bit more often...

;)
When you search for something like "meet new people online," there are a plethora of hits, but a lot of the sites seemed shady.

For instance the largest platform as well as the most common hit was for a service called Badoo. When you look for reviews of the site, aside from the Google App for it, the user reviews are overwhelmingly negative.

Message boards serve their purpose, but they are too impersonal, and they aren't real time.

I'm actually am surprised that in 2014 there are well established products for this issue. People do everything online.

/shrug

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
When you search for something like "meet new people online," there are a plethora of hits, but a lot of the sites seemed shady.

For instance the largest platform as well as the most common hit was for a service called Badoo. When you look for reviews of the site, aside from the Google App for it, the user reviews are overwhelmingly negative.

Message boards serve their purpose, but they are too impersonal, and they aren't real time.

I'm actually am surprised that in 2014 there are well established products for this issue. People do everything online.

/shrug
Oh, real time? How about IRC?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Perhaps you ought to check out those "analog' scenes you speak of. Meeting new people, like hooking up, is easy. You just need to put yourself out there.

RITZFit

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
In my Corner
Meetup.com is just for this. Great for finding all sorts of local gatherings in your area (book clubs, hiking, movie watching, dining groups, etc.)

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Meetup.com is just for this. Great for finding all sorts of local gatherings in your area (book clubs, hiking, movie watching, dining groups, etc.)
I agree. Especially if you are in a more urban area. I found a FileMaker Pro developers group there. Haven't made any of the meetings yet, but I have talked to some of the people. And the site makes suggestions for other groups you might be interested in.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Because there's no good way to meet potential IRL friends online, only meet ups for common-minded people. Join a local club, etc. OP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.