Online Pre-Order: AT&T or Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ericwang, Jun 8, 2010.

1. ericwang macrumors member

I would like some insight from people who've ordered from AT&T online before. I know that previously, if you order early enough, Apple delivers on the day it is released. Is this the same case for AT&T?

Any input is appreciated!

2. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Yes it is the same case, but you can also have it delivered to your local AT&T store and pick it up the next day on the 25th.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Based on experience from last year

- Initially Apple stores and higher-volume AT&T stores will be well-stocked but supplies will run out after a day or so.

- There's gonna be a ton of demand and likely supply shortages shortly after release and lasting a few weeks.

- Apple will prioritize their stores and the online store first in fulfilling orders. AT&T will still get some stock, but it'll usually be a dozen or so units per shipment, tops, compared to the cabinetfuls that Apple stores will get.

I would recommend ordering online with either AT&T or Apple, as soon as the pre-order is available, if you want your iPhone fast. And if you don't pre-order, and decide after a day or two of release to buy, you're better off ordering from Apple online. You will get your iPhone 4 faster that way.

Last year, based on the threads we saw here, people who were put on AT&T waiting lists after initial stock dried up ended up waiting longer than those who ordered direct from Apple online or kept lining up at the Apple stores. Eventually people who backordered through AT&T did get their phones, but it took a while. Some even ended up canceling their AT&T orders after managing to score one from the Apple store.

Don't get me wrong. AT&T isn't bad especially if you order right away, and you will get your phone if you order through them, but if you wait even a day after release to buy, then just be sure if you do that you aren't in any rush to get it.

4. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

So what's the deal on pricing as far as the easiest way to get the upgrade/new pricing? We are replacing my wife's original 8GB iPhone (Edge Network) and also want to add a second line. Essentially this:

2 iPhones
    $60 Family plan
    2 - $15 Data plans
    2 - $5 Texting plans

Can the Apple store handle all this, or do I just grab the phones and set it up through iTunes?

5. thetaco25 macrumors member

I've been looking through all of the pre-order forums, and can't seem to find a good solution to my problem. I am going to be in Canada on vacation the thursday the iPhone comes out. I would have my iPhone shipped to my house and it would be there when I arrive back on Saturday. The problem is that my entire family wants to get iPhones, so I would need to pre-order three. This seems to be impossible for a new customer of AT&T, meaning I would likely have to go buy two of the phones at an Apple store on Saturday.

Do you think iPhones will be available on Saturday for people who didn't purchase them? I'm going away again on Sunday, so Saturday is my only window of opportunity to pick up at least 2 phones.

Also, did anyone notice that the FamilyTalk plans on Apple's website are different from the ones on AT&T's site? Which are the correct ones?

Any help is appreciated!

6. ericwang thread starter macrumors member

In the past, did AT&T online order deliver the day of release? Are they, as well as Apple, planning on doing that this year? By the way, thanks for the iPhone Purchase Guide. Very helpful.

7. maggie2101 macrumors member

Can you reserve them to be picked up at the Apple store on Saturday?

8. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

No one knows for sure yet what they'll do this year.

Last year I pre-ordered from AT&T for delivery and I got the phone around 1pm on release day.

9. thetaco25 macrumors member

That's a good question, but I doubt they'll let you reserve your pickup for a specific day. I suppose it's worth a call to the store, though.

10. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Don't think so. With the iPad, Apple only held the item at the store until like 2pm on the release.

11. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

Actually I dont see why not, if you pay for the phone it shouldnt matter when its picked up, unless you wait like a month or so lol. I dont see a few days being a factor though.

Still taco is right I would ask first

12. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

If apple does the same thing the did with last years Iphone reserve and this years iPad reservse, you don't pay for the item until you pick it up

13. thetaco25 macrumors member

I actually would prefer that you pay Apple in full and then have a couple days to pick the phone up. Then you aren't committed to going when the store is a madhouse.