Online print recommendations?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by almonde, Mar 12, 2012.

1. almonde macrumors regular

I need to get some 12"x12" square prints made. Have you got any recommedations for online places that you've used in the past, or even bricks and mortar stores?

iPhoto doesn't seem to offer 12x12 as an option.

Looking for comments regarding cost, print quality, speed of delivery.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Smugmug.com, although you might need an account with them in order to upload and subsequently buy prints. It's well worth it though, smugmug is far and away the best photo hosting service and their prints are professional-quality.

3. almonde thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the smugmug tip, I'm not sure i need an account with them, but they do list the compaines they use for printing, one of those is ezprints.com, they sell 12x12 prints for $5.15 with a lustre finish, which seems very cheap.

4. pna macrumors 6502

I've had great luck with Adorama (adoramapix.com). The print quality has been great, the service generally quick, service reps available and friendly, and the prices have been pretty cheap.

I recently printed my first big panorama with ezprints.com, and honestly, the experience was a little sub-par. The printing, in general, was fine, but questions to their service center just went completely unanswered, and the prints took a long time (2 weeks?) to finally make it to me. This after receiving an email more or less directly after placing the order that my order was ready to be shipped. I never got a tracking number, or had any way to follow up on it. I was just about to write them to ask what happened when the tube showed up at my door. Others may have had better experiences, as I know they're highly regarded.

5. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

6. netslacker macrumors 6502

I use bay photo.

Their prices are here:
    http://bayphoto.com/bayweb/pro_standardsizes.htm

and they give you 25% off your first order.

Not sure how that compares for smaller prints but for big stuff (which is pretty much all I print) it was pretty competitive.

7. almonde thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies, i've added them all to my bookmarks for future reference. Before checking back here i ordered $30 worth of prints from ezprints. Bit worrying to see the post from pna, but we'll see how they go and I have some more options for next time, especially if ezprints, do end up being a bit sub-par.

8. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Another one is white house custom color. I don't know if they still do, but when I first signed up they gave me 5 free 8x10 prints that I could use to test color matching between my workflow and their output.

9. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I agree -- Mpix does a great job, they're relatively inexpensive, and quick.

10. davidinva macrumors 6502a

If you live near a Costco, my experience with the local one is that all of their prints are quite good. They do a 12x12 for $2.99. You can upload and pick up at the store. Don't know if they have a mailing option. You do have to be a member or know someone who is.

11. Bear macrumors G3

Costco qualkity varies from store to store. Some stores maintain their equipment properly. Some don't.

My recommendation for any lab where you don't know someone has used that particular location is try one or 2 prints first before doing any sort of large print job.

Of the 2 Costcos near me, I would only use one of them for prints.