Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Well it's been a few days since I checked my email and this made me wonder if Amazonwill fight this or give in like NewEgg did. I haven't gotten anything from Amazon yet but I'm watching my email and account for a notice.
All I can say is I might have to shop elsewhere thanks to poorly handled NY government looking for all it can get.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 92

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
techincally speaking when you buy something from out of state you are supposed to send the sales tax to your state government.

I think the companies are going to give in. I know several other states working on ways to collect sales tax because it is a huge loss of money for them. This goes double for states that have no income tax.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Just be aware, New York is not adding a new tax. NY is entitled to collect sales tax on all purchases intended to be used in NY. All the new law does is force online retailers to collect that sales tax, in much the same way that the law requires brick&mortar stores to collect the sales tax.

The fact that everyone conveniently forgets to report uncollected sales tax on their annual income tax filing does not mean that the tax doesn't exist already.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Just be aware, New York is not adding a new tax. NY is entitled to collect sales tax on all purchases intended to be used in NY. All the new law does is force online retailers to collect that sales tax, in much the same way that the law requires brick&mortar stores to collect the sales tax.

The fact that everyone conveniently forgets to report uncollected sales tax on their annual income tax filing does not mean that the tax doesn't exist already.

I just find it somewhat interesting that for the last 10 years that I had a good tax firm due my taxes they never asked or seemed to care. Makes me wonder how it was ever, until now, to be taken serious when firms would always turn their head. I did read that Amazon was going to fight certain things about this law and then all went quiet until I got this. So I'm still not certain who will participate (it said certain online-retailers) even though they have to.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

Agreed. Personally, I don't think there's anything to fight. You buy something, and you pay tax for it. It's simple. Just pay the tax that you owe and stop whining.

This isn't as bad as people who complain about getting a speeding ticket when they were caught speeding, but it's pretty close.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.