Online Sales Tax In New York

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Artful Dodger, May 29, 2008.

1. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well it's been a few days since I checked my email and this made me wonder if Amazonwill fight this or give in like NewEgg did. I haven't gotten anything from Amazon yet but I'm watching my email and account for a notice.
    All I can say is I might have to shop elsewhere thanks to poorly handled NY government looking for all it can get.

Attached Files:

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

techincally speaking when you buy something from out of state you are supposed to send the sales tax to your state government.

I think the companies are going to give in. I know several other states working on ways to collect sales tax because it is a huge loss of money for them. This goes double for states that have no income tax.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Just be aware, New York is not adding a new tax. NY is entitled to collect sales tax on all purchases intended to be used in NY. All the new law does is force online retailers to collect that sales tax, in much the same way that the law requires brick&mortar stores to collect the sales tax.

The fact that everyone conveniently forgets to report uncollected sales tax on their annual income tax filing does not mean that the tax doesn't exist already.

4. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I just find it somewhat interesting that for the last 10 years that I had a good tax firm due my taxes they never asked or seemed to care. Makes me wonder how it was ever, until now, to be taken serious when firms would always turn their head. I did read that Amazon was going to fight certain things about this law and then all went quiet until I got this. So I'm still not certain who will participate (it said certain online-retailers) even though they have to.

5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Give us a break.

Not happy about this at all.

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

how else are we going to pay for spitzer's "cough" companions?:rolleyes:

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed. Personally, I don't think there's anything to fight. You buy something, and you pay tax for it. It's simple. Just pay the tax that you owe and stop whining.

This isn't as bad as people who complain about getting a speeding ticket when they were caught speeding, but it's pretty close.

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

how can you have any pudding if you DONT EAT YOUR MEAT!!!!????