Online storage options

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aspen, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Aspen macrumors member

My iMac has a 500GB HDD. My photos and family videos are at least 750GB and will increase over time. Thus, all of the photo/video won't fit on the internal HDD.

In addition to an external HDD, I'd like cloud storage such as Carbonite and others. Since I can't get all of the photo/video onto the internal HDD (not enough storage space), I'm not sure what the best to handle this is.

Swap out the iMac HDD for a larger one then put all of the photo/video onto the internal HDD, use external HDD and cloud storage?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I use Crashplan as my online backup source, but I don't think Carbonite actually gives you storage to use as you please. I'm pretty sure it's just a backup solution like Crashplan is. You may want to look into Dropbox as you can purchase 50 GB's (99 a yr) or 100 GB's (200 a yr) and use it on any PC, Mac or iOS device.

If I were you, I'd look into buying a 2 TB external and getting something like Crashplan to back it up online. Once your backup has completed, you'll be able to access all of those files from an iOS device or computer.

3. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Crashplan for the price, unlimited storage and lack of data transfer throttling that some services like Carbonite impose on users.

Simply add the attached external drive (or a part of it) to your Crashplan backup. Works like a charm.

I keep all my images and music files on external drives and back it up via Crashplan. I also backup my wife's MBP via Crashplan by using SuperDuper! to clone it to an external.