Online Storage/Sharing Preference

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by iRooney, May 20, 2012.

1. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

Okay, so I am an Aperture user. I want to keep my photos backed up online somewhere, but would prefer not to pay for the service. I am not a paid photographer, so it's not like I am taking a tiny profit dip by paying for storage.

Anyway, I know the usual Shutterfly/Snapfish options both offer unlimited full-res storage. Is one better than the other...even as far as Aperture is concerned? I would like the storage process to be as seamless as possible (ie. perform the upload through Aperture, rather than opening browser and uploading manually). Anyone have any input?

2. whodareswins macrumors regular

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

iRooney: Okay, so I am an Aperture user. I want to keep my photos backed up online somewhere, but would prefer not to pay for the service. I am not a paid photographer, so it's not like I am taking a tiny profit dip by paying for storage.

Anyway, I know the usual Shutterfly/Snapfish options both offer unlimited full-res storage. Is one better than the other...even as far as Aperture is concerned? I would like the storage process to be as seamless as possible (ie. perform the upload through Aperture, rather than opening browser and uploading manually). Anyone have any input?

Photostream and iCloud. At least the first 5GB are free, I think. Most storage services are going to cost you something. The other option is to buy a portable HD. These are relatively inexpensive (less than $100) and you can back up your library to them through Aperture. I have two of these, one 1T and one 500GB. One I keep at home the other off site at my office just in case some catastrophe befalls my home (fire, robbery). that way all my photos are still recoverable and safe.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use smugmug and the last time I used Aperture, they had a plug-in to upload your images easily. They also have one for LightRoom which I use and its works very seamlessly (with LR).

5. iRooney thread starter macrumors 6502

iRooney

Smugmug isn't free. I might go back to iPhoto just to keep the free exporting option. I have photoshop for the more involved editing anyway.

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I'd get a Time Capsule or any other NAS and back my computer up to there.
    Or maybe I misunderstood the OP.

7. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

PicasaWeb with the Aperture plugin works great for me.

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Flickr isn't bad. For their super service it's only $25/year for unlimited full rez storage and video support.

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

iCLoud will only allow 1000 photos and you cannot share the images like you can with Mobileme Gallery.

I've been doing this for years. Every year I check the papers and buy a bulk package of DVDs. Back every photo to them. Also have copies on an external drive. At some point I'm going to have to print them because idk what format computers will be in the year 2020.

When you upload to the web, the server compresses them. Just buy a couple hard drive and do that.

10. Bear macrumors G3

The online service should not be your only backup, as there's no guarantee that they won't go out of business. SOme people keep a backup in a bank vault or a friends or relatives house.

Also, read the Terms of Service carefully, some of the photo web sites either try to claim copyright or claim the right to use any photo you upload without paying for it.

Also remember you tend to get what you pay for.

PhotoStream is not a backup service, it's a photo transfer service. it will only retain up to 1000 photos and only the ones that are under 30 days old.