Online storage sites options with public access.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Elendil, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Elendil macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, wondering if you could help me..

Have been looking for an online storage site in order for multiple guests to upload their videos and pictures from events without having to be invited. I have checked the usual suspects (Dropbox, Rapidshare) but these are private storage sites where invitations are required. What I'm looking for is a storage solution site where anyone can upload to after inputting a password so that I can download all files to my location.

Does anyone have any sites in mind where I could do this?

Thanks loads.

2. floh macrumors 6502

I have looked around for something like this a while back. Do you need huge amounts of space (since you are asking in the Digital Video Forum) or are you willing to pay money?

I found two sites that I signed up with in the end:

1. ADrive, where you get 50GB of storage for free. You have to deal with some ads, but that's a lot of free space. You can share each file publicly and get a very long http-link that you can send around for everyone to download, no signing in or password required. I sometimes use this if I want to send a big movie files to several friends for reviewing etc. (Or a least I used to, by now I use youtube if the quality doesn't matter)

2. MyDrive: You get only 2GB for free, but it is very comfortable and I like the service. I actually have an extended account with them now which I pay for. There you can basically have a folder structure and with a free account comes one guest account. For each folder, you can assign if the guest account has reading or writing permission or if the folder is invisible for the guest. If you upgrade to the paid account, you get more guest accounts and of course more storage.

For example, you could have the account "elendil" with the folders "Movies", "Scripts", "Planning", "Music" and "Private". In addition, you might have the user "movies@elendil" who has reading permission to "Scripts" and "Planning" and writing permission to "Movies". And another account "music@elendil" who will only see your "Music" folder when logging in. You can have the "Private" folder hidden for all guest accounts.

You can try the free account and see if you like it.

3. Elendil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, this is the sort of thing I was looking for! It is actually for Video Production so that guests at a friends wedding can upload all Video and pics, so large file size - but need to just be able to give a website for easy upload. Initially would use this just for the wedding, but if works well would consider paying for more space and features.

Thanks a lot will give them a try.
    E

4. Elendil thread starter macrumors newbie

...since tried out these websites which are good, but unfortunately doesn't have the option for the public to upload without being a member. I've seen plenty of storage sites for private use, but what I'm looking for is to make it as simple as possible for the guests to upload their vids & pics; so all they need is a website address and a password.

Sure it exists, just can't seem to find anything. Have you seen any storage sites like this?

Cheers

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're not going to find a nice web front-end that doesn't require a minimum of authentication (i.e. username *and* password) to upload files.

6. Elendil thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers. What about just password authentication then? i.e. User requires just 1] Web address & 2] Password?? Thanks.

7. mrgreen2136 macrumors newbie

Why not just purchase a seagate Goflex home system. You set it up at your house and could name it THEWHATEVERWEEDING then put a username and password. It can be accessed from anywhere just have your guests go to seagateshare.com and they can upload whatever they want. Limited to 2gb upload but total storage is up to you. I purchased the 2tb system $140 and uploaded my home DVD collection and can pull it to iPhone, laptop, Samsung smart tv, ps3, and iPad.