Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I need an online storage solution to store files up to 2GB in size.

I have been using vimeo to store my final videos, but I would like to be able to store the raw DSLR files for later use as well as my photography work.

I need something that I know will be around for a while. Doesn't have to have TIER 1 FIBRE OPTIC BLAH blah blah. I just need storage for files over 100mb (the current limit on skydrive)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Bicassa may be your answer. If you need an invite PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you an invite.

And the last time I said that I got a crap ton of PMs. This offer pretty much only applies to the OP. I don't want to riddle his thread with Bitcassa invite requests.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
Look into Amazon S3. Reliable, secure, and should be around for years and years.

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/

Here is a cost calculator
http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/calc5.html

If you want a front-end for customers, another option may be SmugMug Pro. It allows videos up to 3gb and 50mb photos.
http://www.smugmug.com/pro/

this might be really good. it SEEMS cheap but I just need some clarification.

My purpose is JUST TO STORE footage btw.

If I store 20GB of footage that would roughly cost me $2.50 a month?
And if I needed to download that, it doesn't cost anything?

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
this might be really good. it SEEMS cheap but I just need some clarification.

My purpose is JUST TO STORE footage btw.

If I store 20GB of footage that would roughly cost me $2.50 a month?
And if I needed to download that, it doesn't cost anything?

There are charges for REQUESTS and data transfers.
http://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

The good news with S3 is you pay for your usage. So if for 6 months the files just sit there and you never look at them, access them, etc, then you'd only pay for the storage.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
Bicassa may be your answer. If you need an invite PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you an invite.

And the last time I said that I got a crap ton of PMs. This offer pretty much only applies to the OP. I don't want to riddle his thread with Bitcassa invite requests.

your inbox is full. couldn't send you info.
thanks

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Dropbox should fit the bill, you get 2GB for free. You can pay for more storage but it's pricy as the service is based around sharing more than just storring stuff.

Otherwise if you already have a web host it might be worth it to get some additional storage space and just upload your stuff via FTP.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
Dropbox should fit the bill, you get 2GB for free. You can pay for more storage but it's pricy as the service is based around sharing more than just storring stuff.

Otherwise if you already have a web host it might be worth it to get some additional storage space and just upload your stuff via FTP.

I had a yahoo account before for my website and I could store oodles of stuff, but then I thought it wasn't that good of a deal at $13 a month for unlimited storage. DOH!

it was great for storage and sending stuff to clients.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I sent the invite, did it work out for you?

I haven't tried it yet.

I have to weigh the long term into my choice before I go uploading GB's of data. My ISP is going to freak on me probably.

Side rant:
Who care's about "the cloud" and cloud storage when ISP's are obsessed with giving us 50mb/s downloads and 50kb/s uploads?! The only way I can get better upload speeds is to upgrade the whole package to $150/month. Lame.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
True that. I have terrible upload speeds. So much so that Vonage is useless if I am doing anything online. I hope it works for you and that you make use of it. Invites are limited so I was hoping you wanted it to use it. ;)

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I haven't tried it yet.

I have to weigh the long term into my choice before I go uploading GB's of data. My ISP is going to freak on me probably.

Side rant:
Who care's about "the cloud" and cloud storage when ISP's are obsessed with giving us 50mb/s downloads and 50kb/s uploads?! The only way I can get better upload speeds is to upgrade the whole package to $150/month. Lame.

I have no idea where you are from, but you could always try going somewhere else to use there internet for the upload. If I have any big uploads, I'm always sure to upload the files while I'm up at the University. Uploading at 3-5 megabytes per second makes it worth the time. This is all assuming of course you have a laptop.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
I will second Amazon S3 - I use it myself for online video storage and for distributing previews and final products to clients. Dropbox uses S3 for their own service, so that says something about its reliability. It's extremely fast, consistently saturates my FiOS connection for both uploads and downloads (25Mbps Up/Down). It's also been very affordable.

Only thing about it though is it's not the simplest system to use - plenty of customization, but you need to figure it out. I use Cyberduck for interfacing and once it's set up, it's pretty easy.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I have no idea where you are from, but you could always try going somewhere else to use there internet for the upload. If I have any big uploads, I'm always sure to upload the files while I'm up at the University. Uploading at 3-5 megabytes per second makes it worth the time. This is all assuming of course you have a laptop.

oh sweet jesus! When I was at college, it was EPIC how fast uploads were. I will see if I can get in on that again.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
If you don't care about comfort but rather want to save money, I have another hint for you: A while ago, I made an account at ADrive. It's been around for a while and I don't think it is going to fade away soon.

The advantages:
- The basic (free) plan already provides 50GB storage and large enough file sizes (I don't want to upload more than 50GB anyways...)
- You can create external links for friends to download large files without them having to sign up to anything

The disadvantages:
- With the free plan, you have to click away one ad when you log in
- The free plan is not very comfortable (just upload via browser)

Just an idea if you are looking for something very simple. The biggest selling point for me at the time was the external link, since I wanted to send video files via the internet to friends and it is very handy to just send them a download-link, no questions asked.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Does your ISP have a technical office in town? When I have to upload something HUGE, I drop an external drive in the morning and exchange it for a six-pack under the table (out of courtesy) in the evening.

Their upload speed is better than what they give to their customers :rolleyes:

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
Does your ISP have a technical office in town? When I have to upload something HUGE, I drop an external drive in the morning and exchange it for a six-pack under the table (out of courtesy) in the evening.

Their upload speed is better than what they give to their customers :rolleyes:

i might just try the college.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.