Online store education discount

drmountaindeww

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Does apple verify that you qualify for an educational discount? Im not cheating the system, i personally just find it rather inconvinient to dig up proof if neccessary. Btw, im talking about ordeing online if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Edit: I am also unsure if this makes a difference but my question is US based.

Last edited:

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Tulsa
I have heard that they randomly select who to check - they'll have you verify your student email account if I'm not mistaken. But I have ordered under the Education Store many times expecting them to ask for proof of me being a student but they've never asked.

You most likely won't be contacted for proof.

defektion

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
I've ordered stuff through the apple store online with my education discount and have never been asked for proof.

calderone

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2009
Seattle
Does apple verify that you qualify for an educational discount? Im not cheating the system, i personally just find it rather inconvinient to dig up proof if neccessary. Btw, im talking about ordeing online if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Edit: I am also unsure if this makes a difference but my question is US based.
I am sure it is incredibly inconvenient to:

• Send a copy of your current schedule
  • Photocopy your student I.D.
  • Verify your student email address

drmountaindeww

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I am sure it is incredibly inconvenient to:

• Send a copy of your current schedule
  • Photocopy your student I.D.
  • Verify your student email address
1) does this answer my question? No. So dont waste your time stating irrelevant information.
2) whats inconvinient to me may not be to you, but either way it's none of your buisiness.

calderone

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2009
Seattle
1) does this answer my question? No. So dont waste your time stating irrelevant information.
2) whats inconvinient to me may not be to you, but either way it's none of your buisiness.
Well, it does answer your question, as it points out that there are rather simple methods of verifying your student status that are not at all inconvenient.

If you are telling me you can't send a PDF of your schedule, take a photo of your I.D., or send an email then I am not sure you need a computer at all.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Sometimes they check it, sometimes they don't. I personally didn't get checked. I know of others who did. Seems to be completely random. So either pay the retail price or be prepared to inconvenience yourself if necessary. There's no need to be an ass.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
I think the OP is the 14-year-old that started this thread and this thread.

So I imagine that he is either using someone else's college ID, or may actually be cheating the system. But we'll stick with the first one.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
They randomly check orders and ask for verification. If you can't provide identification, then they charge you the difference in price.

I ordered my rMBP through the UK edu store, and I wasn't checked, but you're taking a gamble by doing this without student ID. Be prepared to pay the full price.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I think the OP is the 14-year-old that started this thread and this thread.

So I imagine that he is either using someone else's college ID, or may actually be cheating the system. But we'll stick with the first one.
I hope Apple audits him. Obviously if someone has to ask if they verify, they are most likely not a student since it would not be hard for any student to verify. Heck, when I got my Mac as a freshman, I just showed them my acceptance letter.

Wow, did someone piss in your corn flakes this morning? You said you are US based and it is inconvenient to show proof? Every college gives an ID to their student. You're telling me it's difficult to pull up a class schedule, a bill, or the ID? You're hilarious.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
According to this thread, he is 14 and in high school. He posted that is entitled to a student discount, but he is not. His first post on this thread says he is not cheating the system, but he clearly is. Ha.

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
According to this thread, he is 14 and in high school. He posted that is entitled to a student discount, but he is not. His first post on this thread says he is not cheating the system, but he clearly is. Ha.
Not sure why the bro doesn't just say "I am trying to cheat the system. Please help!"

We are faceless forum members, not FBI agents. It's ok to say I'd like to save $350 and need help.

If it makes you feel better, I am a student and have never been asked to prove it.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Not sure why the bro doesn't just say "I am trying to cheat the system. Please help!"

We are faceless forum members, not FBI agents. It's ok to say I'd like to save $350 and need help.

If it makes you feel better, I am a student and have never been asked to prove it.
Yup, if he had just been honest, might be a tad better.

OP, if you really want to save $$$, do you have a buddy that can get it for you in college? Also, a close teacher can help with that since they qualify for the discount.

J.acks

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2012
Well... Since he is 14, isn't it clear that he is qualify for student discount.

So OP, you don't have to worry if Apple to ask you to verify your student status. Clearly you can verify yourself easily? ;)

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
1 log onto university online store: just google "Harvard apple store" for example

2 have an older sister or cousin come with you and bring their student id

3 tell us the truth, and respectfully ask for a link

4 if you're scared of verifying have an older friend or realtive's college e-mail handy
If you get caught, cancel order and try again

But if you're trying to save on sales tax and edu discount just use
http://www.macmall.com/n/Mac-Back-To-School/macCustomPages-5793

Free shipping, no sales tax, same edu discount, and higher valued bundle gift cards than $100 app store card