Online store education discount

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drmountaindeww, Aug 4, 2012.

1. drmountaindeww, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

drmountaindeww macrumors member

Does apple verify that you qualify for an educational discount? Im not cheating the system, i personally just find it rather inconvinient to dig up proof if neccessary. Btw, im talking about ordeing online if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Edit: I am also unsure if this makes a difference but my question is US based.

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I have heard that they randomly select who to check - they'll have you verify your student email account if I'm not mistaken. But I have ordered under the Education Store many times expecting them to ask for proof of me being a student but they've never asked.

You most likely won't be contacted for proof.

3. defektion macrumors regular

I've ordered stuff through the apple store online with my education discount and have never been asked for proof.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I am sure it is incredibly inconvenient to:

• Send a copy of your current schedule
    • Photocopy your student I.D.
    • Verify your student email address

5. drmountaindeww thread starter macrumors member

1) does this answer my question? No. So dont waste your time stating irrelevant information.
    2) whats inconvinient to me may not be to you, but either way it's none of your buisiness.

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Well, it does answer your question, as it points out that there are rather simple methods of verifying your student status that are not at all inconvenient.

If you are telling me you can't send a PDF of your schedule, take a photo of your I.D., or send an email then I am not sure you need a computer at all.

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Sometimes they check it, sometimes they don't. I personally didn't get checked. I know of others who did. Seems to be completely random. So either pay the retail price or be prepared to inconvenience yourself if necessary. There's no need to be an ass.

8. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I think the OP is the 14-year-old that started this thread and this thread.

So I imagine that he is either using someone else's college ID, or may actually be cheating the system. But we'll stick with the first one.

9. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

They randomly check orders and ask for verification. If you can't provide identification, then they charge you the difference in price.

I ordered my rMBP through the UK edu store, and I wasn't checked, but you're taking a gamble by doing this without student ID. Be prepared to pay the full price.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I hope Apple audits him. Obviously if someone has to ask if they verify, they are most likely not a student since it would not be hard for any student to verify. Heck, when I got my Mac as a freshman, I just showed them my acceptance letter.

Wow, did someone piss in your corn flakes this morning? You said you are US based and it is inconvenient to show proof? Every college gives an ID to their student. You're telling me it's difficult to pull up a class schedule, a bill, or the ID? You're hilarious.

11. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

OP is clearly trying to game the system. No tax via ship to NH / student discount.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

According to this thread, he is 14 and in high school. He posted that is entitled to a student discount, but he is not. His first post on this thread says he is not cheating the system, but he clearly is. Ha.

13. Boiler macrumors regular

Not sure why the bro doesn't just say "I am trying to cheat the system. Please help!"

We are faceless forum members, not FBI agents. It's ok to say I'd like to save $350 and need help.

If it makes you feel better, I am a student and have never been asked to prove it.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yup, if he had just been honest, might be a tad better.

OP, if you really want to save $$$, do you have a buddy that can get it for you in college? Also, a close teacher can help with that since they qualify for the discount.

15. J.acks macrumors member

Well... Since he is 14, isn't it clear that he is qualify for student discount.

So OP, you don't have to worry if Apple to ask you to verify your student status. Clearly you can verify yourself easily? ;)

16. Boiler macrumors regular

1 log onto university online store: just google "Harvard apple store" for example

2 have an older sister or cousin come with you and bring their student id

3 tell us the truth, and respectfully ask for a link

4 if you're scared of verifying have an older friend or realtive's college e-mail handy
    If you get caught, cancel order and try again

But if you're trying to save on sales tax and edu discount just use
    http://www.macmall.com/n/Mac-Back-To-School/macCustomPages-5793

Free shipping, no sales tax, same edu discount, and higher valued bundle gift cards than $100 app store card

17. samlevy macrumors newbie

wow that is really nice . this really help in the field of education surely :)