Online upgrade on none-data plan line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spyda, May 19, 2010.

1. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

How will this work. I plan on using the early upgrade discount option on a different line for the 4th gen iphone. This line is NOT on a data plan, just standard blackberry, so how will I be able to use the phone with my line instead? I know when they ship the phone the sim card will be for the bb line and not my phone but yeah, still a little unsure.

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Upgrade first then call in to cancel the data plan.

3. spyda thread starter macrumors 6502a

spyda

Yeah that sounds about right, but how will I go about getting a sim card for my line to use with the phone? I thought I read somewhere that the 4th gen iphone will use a different sim, micro sim --and the 3GS that I have now uses a regular sim which possibly won't work with the new phone?

4. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

This is the biggest problem with using another line to upgrade this time around, you need to get a micro sim to normal sim adapter, and you need to cut down your sim to fit in the new phone....

No fun....

5. spyda thread starter macrumors 6502a

spyda

You sir, are a bag of tools and you fail at being remotely humorous. Thanks for playing though!

6. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

What? :confused:

7. r3voLoL macrumors member

doubleatheman is right, either cut up your old sim, or I assume you'll be able to replace it at the store...

8. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

Easiest Method

The easiest method to upgrade from a different line is to do it at an AT&T corporate store. I've done this with other phones in my family plan, as my children are always wanting to borrow the other child's upgrade status for the "latest and greatest" phones.

If you do it at a corporate store, they can do all of the computer work, switching of lines, etc. without you having to do a thing except sit there and scan your credit card when it is all over. :p

They do it all the time, and I've never had a problem. Good luck. I'm ready for the new one myself and so is my son. He has been saving up for a long time for this, he has my old original phone. I have a 3G and we are both eligible for an upgrade right now. :D

9. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Wow, yeah, he was being 100% serious. Check the iPad threads, this is being done everywhere

10. spyda thread starter macrumors 6502a

spyda

The only intelligent and legit response. Why am I not surprised? Anyhow, yeah I figured the store could do this, though I was hoping it could be done over the phone but whatever works, works. Thanks.

11. JDee macrumors 6502a

How on Earth is it the only "intelligent and legit" response?

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You have to love it when the thread starter blasts all the responders for not giving an answer that doesn't meet his standards.... :mad:

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Here is what you need to do, it's VERY simple.....

Huh???

What?!??!

I was actually going to tell you a key piece of information that everyone keeps missing here....but you're being a tool yourself so...nvm. Good luck!;)

Edit: PPL here were actually giving you correct/helpful information. There are sim adapters and you can cut a full sized sim down to micro. You can have the AT&T store handle your request with ease. But there is a much simpler answer than all of these. Too bad I no longer feel like sharing it.

14. spyda thread starter macrumors 6502a

spyda

Haha I mean if you want to be a little girl about it, that's cool too. I do owe an apology to anyone and everyone who was referred to as 'a bag of tools' in this thread however, thought you guys were completely BSing but a quick google search and apparently that's not the case. Still seems a bit ridiculous to go through though.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Haha...the rude guy thinks I'm a little girl.

Well, I didn't see an apology to the others (just a statement that they might be owed one), but I'm feeling charitable.

The phone is delivered from the factory sealed. The SIM has never been activated. You can plug it into iTunes and activate it on any line you like. It makes no difference what line you used for the upgrade.

Next time don't jump to conclusions so quickly. Except for the hate for Verizon and Android, the people on this forum are mostly helpful.

16. spyda thread starter macrumors 6502a

spyda

Haha, fair enough. Thank you.