Online user Groups comparison, Yahoo vs google vs Facebook...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by whyrichard, Aug 27, 2009.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I am going to start teaching a 3d modeling class which is a bit technology heavy. It is a 3d modeling and rendering class for sophomores in college. I want to set up some sort of forum or user group for the class online so that they can post problems and have either their teachers or other students post repliess, helping each other pick up the software (which can be very frustrating) more quicky.

I was wondering what you guys recommended for an online user group or forum…

Yahoo groups?
    Google groups?
    Facebook groups?

How do they compare?

‘thanks,
    r.

2. bkap16 macrumors member

Facebook groups and Yahoo/Google groups serve completely different purposes. Facebook groups aren't really good at being forums. You'll probably want to make a Google group. In Facebook, you can only see the last couple of threads unless you click on the "show more". Google Groups is more like a traditional forum and you can sign up to receive updates like a mailing list- you don't even need to you the groups interface. Yahoo Groups seems kind of outdated to me and all the groups I know of are moving away from it.

3. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

Facebook groups

4. 1ne macrumors regular

You can try proboards. It's free but I believe there are some advisements on your board unless you go for the pro version. I used it long time ago so things might be different now. Below is a sample of a board they offer.

Attached Files: