Online video lagging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cline92, Dec 26, 2012.

1. cline92 macrumors newbie

I have recently been having an issue on my computer where any type of online video will be lagging. This includes YouTube, Netflix, and even when I try and video chat on Google Plus. This does not happen on any of the other computers in my house, only mine, so it's not a network issue. I have the most up to date software according to software update, and adobe (for flash player). If anyone knows a solution, that would be great.

Oh, and it's a MacBook pro, 13 inch which I got around April (2012). 2.4 GHz and 4 GB of RAM, in case any of that information is useful. OS X 10.7.5.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Forerunner, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

Forerunner macrumors member

Is the lag restricted to only Flash videos? If so, that may be the source of your issues.

To test, open this link and see if the QuickTime video to the right displays any of the symptoms you are describing.

Edit: I'm not sure if Netflix and Google Chat use Flash. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

3. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Netflix uses Silverlight.

How do you connect to the internet? Ethernet or WiFi?

4. cline92, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

cline92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use wi-fi. As does everyone else in the house, but they don't have this problem, so I'm not sure if the network is the cause of this.

5. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

It could be interference with your connection. I'm assuming you're on 2.4 GHz, which is a fairly congested band. Do you have any Bluetooth accessories that you're using? That could interfere with your connection

6. cline92 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I don't use any accessories, and I actually use the 5 GHz band at one house (divorced parents), and the issue is still there.

7. JustHere155 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I remember having a similar issue back in 2009 and the culprit was the browser. I was using firefox and switched to google chrome and that fixed everything. I just want to let you know that when I get my macbook. I had not encountered this issue, until firefox decided to do an update. Just for the heck of it try using another browser and see what happens.

Cheers!

8. cline92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion! But, sadly, I've tried Firefox, Safari, and Chrome, all to no avail.

9. cline92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just noticed something interesting. The test link you gave me does not show the symptoms, yet Netflix and Google plus still do. YouTube only ever slightly lagged, and it still does. But, I find it weird that that link you gave me didn't lag. Any theories?

10. Forerunner macrumors member

I'd bet the issue you're experiencing has to do with one of two things:

1. The issue is somehow related to Flash, Silverlight, and other plug-ins. Relax, it's not your laptop or your WiFi.
    2. Netflix and YouTube videos are larger and longer than the short demo in the link I sent you. The problem is not resolved.

I'd recommend finding and testing a few more QuickTime files (preferably larger files) and seeing if they exhibit any lag.

Keep us updated.

11. cline92 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I've found a few quicktime files, and they do experience the symptoms, but to a lesser extent than Netflix and Google Plus. The video is not very smooth but the audio is fine, unlike Netflix and G+.

I also tried uninstalling and re-installing silverlight, and that did absolutely nothing, so I don't think it's a problem with that.