Online vs. In Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JJBuck, Aug 3, 2007.

1. JJBuck macrumors newbie

I have searched previous messages, but couldn't find an answer that matches my specific question. If I'm wrong, please point me to another thread.

Anyway, like many of you, I am anxiously awaiting next Tuesday. That said, what are the differences between buying online compared to the Apple store? I know that nobody knows for sure, but with new products, does the Apple store generally have them quicker than the online store? I would imagine that any customizing would need to be done online too.

Basically looking for pros and cons of buying online compared to the store, which is about 5 minutes from my office. I'm looking at a new iMac, with upgraded RAM, hard drive, and possibly video card. Granted, all could change on Tuesday, but that's what I'm leaning. It could be that I can't do what I want at the store, and will be forced to do it online. But, what does that do to timing? I am a "switcher", and I am dying to get what I have been waiting so long to order. They are tired of seeing me in the store!;)

2. krose0307 macrumors newbie

Can't upgrade in-store

When I got my iMac I was told that the only thing they can upgrade in-store was RAM. So I ended up ordering online while at the apple store, and I got my computer in about a week. It seems that with the upgrades you want to make, you'll have to get it online either way.

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Anything "upgraded" or "build to order" is only available through the online storestore

4. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

you'll probably have to do it online, or run up a mega huge fee for the store to take out the default ram and hard drive. the store is really only good for default configurations, everything else, online is the best. hope that helps.

5. blueicedj macrumors 6502

I'm thinking the same things, but I'm wondering, what risks are there in shipping? Could my product get banged up and ruined during the ship?

6. mwxiao macrumors regular

Take it easy. you can always replace it if it happens and I don't think it ever happens.

7. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I've seen plenty of comments from other people to suggest that it can happen with some frequency. Due to mishandling or outright theft from the shipper, not due to any problem on Apple's behalf. It's a valid concern.

However, that wouldn't stop me from ordering online (Apple sounds pretty good about replacing received-damaged stock). You want several BTO options, which as noted, are online only. Plus, it's no guarantee that your local Apple Store will have the new models in stock ON Aug. 7.

8. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I just had two MacBooks arrive this week, both were well packaged. But like someone else already said you have have it replaced with something did happen.