Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Did a search and no topic on this so here I go...

Fellow MacRumors photography forum gang– I’ve been offered to be a freelance photographer for a online local web-magazine!

It all started via Facebook 1 week ago, they have a Facebook page,
I posted one of my shots there, they asked me for permission to post it to their website, I agreed. They got good feedback, I posted a few more, etc, repeat.

Since, I've showed them my various shots, they want me to be part of their freelance crew.

$XXX/photo gallery they host (10-20 images, with brief write up), since I’ve been taking these as a hobby it will be supplemental income, help offset future gear.
Plus, doing this will help me evolve my photography to a better level, seeing how people react to my shots, etc.

So, I'm meeting with the editor next week Monday to get this started, he's already setting up my account with them so I can preview their freelance contract, etc.

Q's:
-What should I ask of him?
-Any others already doing this freelance stuff (for their local Online web-magazine/other) have lessons to share with me?

ComputersaysNo

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
Amsterdam
Let them pay a minimum salary to cover for your gear, even if they don't need/use any photo's. Let them also insure your gear, or make a deal that they pay a new camera when yours brakes down. When they don't want that, do not do any business with them. Just don't wear out your gear when you won't get anything out of it.

I've been freelance for a few years now (mostly weddings in de weekends, sometimes commercial. My dayjob is working in a hospital), and my experience with 'local' and 'freelance' always turned out that someone was looking for a sucker that makes good photo's for as little money as possible.

edit* some positive cool story bro': Within a few weeks a friend and i are photographing pivate jets for a rent-a-jet-company. Part of the deal is flying to Spain for a weekend due to the bad weather overhere. So once in a while something good comes out of being a freelancer. :D

Last edited:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
^^^I completely agree with ComputersaysNo. If you're doing assignment work for them, make sure you're at least getting paid a day rate, not just licensing fees for photos they actually use. They should also be paying for your travel expenses. Somehow I doubt they'll cover insurance unless you're full-time staff, though it's worth I try, I guess.

Also make sure you retain the rights to the photos you take so that you can license them out to third parties. Over the last couple of years, I've done a bunch of assignment work, enough to constitute about a third of my annual income. Nonetheless, it was a lot of work for not a lot of money, and it would not have made financial sense for me if I hadn't retained the rights to the photos. Those photos are all still mine, and I have many of them in with my stock agency, where they have been doing well for me.

[Edit: I should probably add that international travel was a major incentive in my case as well. These assignments have taken me all over Europe: England, Italy, Sicily, Germany, and twice to Greece. And I got my husband's travel expenses covered as well (as my assistant/partner). Otherwise, the work wouldn't have been worthwhile for me.]

Last edited:

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Thx for quick feedback, this is all happening fast for me, I'm still keeping my M-F 8-5 "day job" of course, this will be supplemental income.

Now, I have to get up to speed on LLC also.....

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thx for quick feedback, this is all happening fast for me, I'm still keeping my M-F 8-5 "day job" of course, this will be supplemental income.

Of course, but the larger point here is that you shouldn't let anyone take advantage of you, especially not just for the sake of novelty (doing something you've never done before). It's not good for you, and it's particularly not good for the photography industry as a whole. You don't want to be the guy who helps to worsen and perpetuate the idea that photographers are impoverished push-overs.

ComputersaysNo

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
Amsterdam
Good points by Phrasikleia. And also put all agreements on paper/email/fax, even the little ones (model wearing a red sweater instead of blue as a last minute discision). Don't fall for gentleman's agreements. You will make this mistake once, hopefully just once, and from that moment you'll thank yourself for working by this simple rule. The horror of people not making up their mind, changing the original plan and think things like that it will only cost you a minute extra instead of another day. The idiots & stylists who are present at the shoot, having their say about it, saying that it all looks good & wonderfull. And afterwards start complaining that it didn't turn out the way they thought it would be. Thank god for email and a written agreement to get your money then.

When i assisted more than i was shooting, we made some vague deal over the phone about photographing 4 handbags. We made a nice price on a gentleman's agreement (verbal)... So the next day this truck shows up with 44 handbags in it...

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Some good thoughts in this thread, here are mine briefly:

1. Avoid "work for hire" contracts. Retain the copyright to your photos.

2. Avoid "work for hire" contracts. Retain the copyright to your photos.

3. Remember, you are "licensing" them the right to use your photos, you are NOT "selling" them photos.

4. Unless the pay is very good, avoid granting them an exclusive license.

5. How long of a license do they need? Most licenses have a set time before they expire and further payment is required to continue using the photos.

6. Along these lines, do not allow them to sell reprints of your photos unless you're getting a large cut of the proceeds. I'd also avoid letting them give away your photos as either prints or downloads.

I'll need a little more info for this next part. Will they be giving you specific assignments to shoot or will they all be self generated?

7. If they are giving you specific assignments, make sure you will be paid even if they decide not to use the photos after you have shot them.

8. Avoid "work for hire" contracts. Retain the copyright to your photos.

I know you stated that this will all be "supplemental income" but make sure you aren't actually losing money on the deal. Your time has value and I assume at times you'll be assigned to shoot something you wouldn't actually bother to shoot on your own for fun. Wear and tear on your camera gear, on your vehicle, the gas to get there and back, time spent on the computer editing the photos, time and disk space to archive the photos, etc. Consider all of this when you consider the rate they're offering.

Feel free to ask any questions you think of and I'll be happy to help as I can.

Here are some links definitely worth the time to read as you head down this path:

http://www.nppa.org/professional_development/business_practices/

http://asmp.org/tutorials/copyright-overview.html

http://asmp.org/tutorials/licensing-guide.html

http://photobusinessforum.blogspot.com

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Hey gang, what's your take on this??

I've not signed on yet.....just got access to read this 1 hour ago.

CONFIDENTIAL
AMENDMENT TO PROFESSIONAL SERVICES AGREEMENT
(For Freelance Photography/Videography)
[Note: This Amendment requires the prior approval of the applicable Regional Editor]
PLEASE READ THIS AMENDMENT TO THE PROFESSIONAL SERVICES AGREEMENT (THE “AMENDMENT”) CAREFULLY. BY PROVIDING YOUR ELECTRONIC SIGNATURE YOU ARE FORMING A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT WITH COMPANYA AND AMENDING YOUR PROFESSIONAL SERVICES AGREEMENT WITH COMPANYA (THE “AGREEMENT”). YOUR PERFORMANCE OF SERVICES SHALL BE SUBJECT TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SET FORTH IN THE AGREEMENT, AS AMENDED.

Parties: The individual providing Services pursuant to the Agreement (“You” or “Service Provider”) and CompanyA Media Corporation, a Delaware corporation, with its principal offices at 123 street, Suite 001, New York, NY 00001 (“CompanyA”) (each a “Party” and collectively, the “Parties”).

Effective Date: This Amendment is effective as of the date it is signed electronically by Service Provider (the “Effective Date”).

Background: This Amendment is intended to grant Service Provider additional rights in Images taken by Service Provider, as described further below. It is not intended to alter the ownership rights in any content produced by Service Provider other than Images. Notwithstanding Section 4 of Exhibit B of the Agreement, the terms in this Amendment shall apply to ownership and licensing of Images taken by Service Provider. As used in this Amendment, “Images” means photographs, graphic, static, or video images, and other illustrations that Service Provider provides to CompanyA or takes pursuant to any assignment from CompanyA.

Ownership: Service Provider shall own all right, title and interest in and to the Images, including the right to copyright the Images (or any portion thereof).

License Grant: Service Provider hereby grants to CompanyA and its corporate affiliates including without limitation (and in all cases, reference herein to one includes reference to both) an exclusive (during the Exclusivity Period and non-exclusive thereafter), perpetual, worldwide, sub-licensable license to use, reproduce, store, distribute, have distributed, broadcast, have broadcasted, publicly and privately display, communicate, publicly and privately perform, transmit, have transmitted, create derivative works based upon, sell and promote the Images in any medium now known or hereafter devised. Without limitation of any of the foregoing or the generality thereof, and for the purpose of illustration only, the Images may be used (i) as a background or superimposed image, (ii) as icons, banners or buttons, (iii) in broadcast and theatrical exhibitions, (iv) in online and offline screenshots, (v) as altered, cropped, manipulated, modified and/or used in combination with other images, text, audio or video, including overlaying text on the image, or (vi) in any other manner as CompanyA sees fit, including creating searchable databases in which the Images will be available, and CompanyA may make the Images or portions thereof available through RSS feeds promoted on, through or in connection with any CompanyA property and/or third-party websites or other types of syndication initiatives, and CompanyA may offer its end users the ability to snag such Images by allowing users to make such material viewable, playable or displayable on or through CompanyA products or services (e.g., CompanyA video or audio players, CompanyA widgets, CompanyA photo galleries) on third-party websites or web pages.

Exclusivity Period: The Exclusivity Period with respect to any Image and any other Images taken on the same date shall begin on the date the Image is provided to CompanyA and shall continue for a period of ninety (90) days (the “Exclusivity Period”). During the Exclusivity Period, Service Provider shall not have the right to display or use the Images in any way (with the sole exception of Service Provider’s use of CompanyA-approved Images for limited, self-promotion, i.e., non-commercial, non-publication, purposes to promote Service Provider’s own work to persons other than the general public, including promotional cards and online or other portfolios as may be approved in advance in writing by CompanyA). Without limiting the foregoing or the generality thereof, Service Provider shall not have the right to use the Images for merchandising purposes (i.e., on or in connection with the offer or sale of merchandise that references or bears the Images).

Effect of Amendment: All other terms and conditions of the Agreement not specifically amended, changed or modified by this Amendment shall remain in full force and effect. Any capitalized term that is not defined in this Amendment shall have the meaning assigned to it in the Agreement.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
An important point to note is that this clearly states it is an "AMENDMENT" to a referenced "PROFESSIONAL SERVICES AGREEMENT." Have you seen this original agreement yet?

While they are not requiring a "buyout" (copyright transfer / work for hire) they are getting pretty close to the exact same thing in the License Grant section. Basically it spells out that they can use the photos for whatever they want for as long as they want.

The exclusivity period also prevents you from licensing the images to anyone else for 3 months, at which point any news value is long over. You may still be able to make some money from print sales at this point but nothing in the agreement prevents the company from offering prints or high resolution downloads from day 1, competing against your eventual sales.

I personally would not sign this agreement unless the assignment rate was very large.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.