only 10 mbit on LAN..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Holmez, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Holmez macrumors member

i have set up my mac mini as a iphoto server for my house. it runs 10.5.2
    When i try to open the library trough the network on another mac mini iphoto opens, but it says its loading the pictures. if i press command+alt+esc it sys in the popup window that iphoto is not answering. this computer also run 10.5.2.

the librar is stored on a external drive, so i can ignore acount restrictions on the library.

just found out that my mac mini that has the library on it is connected with 10mbit LAN (even if network card is 100 mbits and the router is the same). the mac mini im trying too acess the library with is connected wireless. Also tried to copy files between these to computers, and it goes verry slow.

Yesterday, before i got my external drives, i tested to view some pictures with preview trough nettwork, and that took me around 6-7 seconds to load the next picture. now it takes over 30-40 seconds.

what can be wronge?

clean install on the "server" maybe?

2. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

You say the mini is connected at 10mbit and then say its connected wirelessly, which is it?

If your mini is only connected via wireless this will run a hell of a lot slower than ethernet as wireless on the mini is still only 54G

3. Holmez thread starter macrumors member

maybe bad explenation by me, but i have 2 mac minis ;)

the mini that has the library stored on it is connected with cable, the mini that is reading the library is connected wirelss. :)

4. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

right ok :)

Is there any way you can try connecting both mini's with cables as your bottleneck is going to be the 54g wireless connection and it is my guess that it may have a poor signal strength and you wont be running at full 54g.

the other option is to download a wireless widget to check your signal strength etc.

I was going to setup my mini as a wireless tv system but chose against it after realising its 54g (I stream HD content).

5. Holmez thread starter macrumors member

i got a tip from a buddy that it could be the cable. It could be damaged.
    Sounds most logical since the network cnnection between the 2 minis worked fines yesterday

6. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Unless anything has moved then I wouldn't have thought it could be the cable?
    More than likely wireless or you never know something interfering on the 2.4ghz bandwidth, maybe a microwave, you or your neighbour has a new dect cordless phone?

options to check anyways....