Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 22, 2009
California
Hello. So today I was exploring my Mac Mini and made it so I can see how much space is left on my hard drive under the Macintosh HD icon. I saw that it says 111.47GB....11GB Free! Wow, I didn't know I used so much space. I don't really have enough money for a new hard drive. I am wondering if there is any freeware program to tell me where my hard drive space is going. What should I do to gain back some hard drive space?

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
You might have more after a reboot.
But you should try to keep at least 10% of your HDD free, things will really start to slow with less than that as the drive has to work harder to find space to store things.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Sure it isn't saying ".11" free? When the free space is in triple figures, there isn't enough space on the icon text (if you have the default setting) to show the full thing, so it'll put ...11GB free to compensate. Try pressing CMD+I on the hard drive to get a full reading.

You can also edit Finder's .plist file and remove the "free" text so it always lists the full amount free.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Hello. So today I was exploring my Mac Mini and made it so I can see how much space is left on my hard drive under the Macintosh HD icon. I saw that it says 111.47GB....11GB Free! Wow, I didn't know I used so much space. I don't really have enough money for a new hard drive. I am wondering if there is any freeware program to tell me where my hard drive space is going. What should I do to gain back some hard drive space?

So which is it? 111 or 11?

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
I think he's saying it's 111 gigs used, 11 free. What confuses me is what kind of hard drive it is. 122 gigs total, before the stupid base 2/base 10 thing. Do they make 130 or 140 gig HDs?

It's 111GB in total, of which 11GB are still free, so it's a 120GB drive (after the stupid base 2/base 10 thing :D).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.