Only 128gb ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by truelies, Oct 22, 2013.

1. truelies macrumors regular

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depends on your needs.

I personally can't live within such a confining space but your needs may be different.

What do you use the computer for? How much storage do you currently use?

3. chabig macrumors 68040

It'll be enough if your stuff requires less than 128GB.

4. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

I'm more worried about the 4 GB of non-upgradable RAM in the base 13"...

I think a lot of uninformed buyers are going to buy the 2.4/4/128 13" model on price from the Apple Store and be very unhappy with it a few months later.

5. g4cube macrumors 6502a

The $1499 13" is the one to look at: 256GB SSD + 8GB RAM. Well worth the additional $200.

6. truelies thread starter macrumors regular

Only 128gb ssd?

I have two 500gb. I think retina is not so important for a notebook.

It's more reasonable if apple can let choose hd size.

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

doubtful ,

4 gb ram is plenty , even if it swaps to SSD the speed will be almost unnoticeable.

i have 8gb and people told me i needed 16gb because 8 was not enough , i ran 7gb VM's leaving 1gb for osx with no speed issues.

regular users won't notice the 4gb ram vs 8gb ram.

8. roobieroo macrumors newbie

What is the upgrade status on the new laptops. My biggest fear is that Apple will continue the worrying trend of their iMac line and make it impossible for normal users to access the hard drive, battery or RAM in their laptops unless you bring it to an Apple Store and pay them to do it or even worse just make it so it's not upgradable period.

9. roobieroo macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

This is the 15". The hard drive in on the left side in the middle between the battery below it and the fan above it. Is this what the hard drive is like in all models and if so is it something that 3rd parties sell to upgrade?

10. donato Suspended

11. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

The SSD is in a PCIX bridge, so it could be swapped, but would likely be cost prohibitive/hard to find for awhile. OWC will probably sell a kit. Best to get what you'd want from Apple on the initial go around.

12. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

If it's my main machine, I can't do a damn thing with 128GB storage--just my Wikipedia installation takes 10GB, let alone everything else.

All depends on your needs.

13. Mantasis macrumors member

^ Wikipedia installation? Don't mean to be nosy, but what is that? And if it is what I think it is, why (asking with total ignorance)?

14. DrkStr macrumors newbie

I bought the base 13 rMBP with 128 gb but upgraded the ram to 8 gb. I figure I can keep all old files and pics on external storage and keep only most recent files on the machine. I hope this will work, and if not, I'll return for the mid and pony up for the 256.

15. EmptyCalm macrumors member

If all you do is internet, maybe spotify, and write papers then yeah.

16. Rick-ITA macrumors regular

I also bought the 8GB/128SSD combo to save some money.

I did some calculations: all the programs I need will take away around 30GB, including OSX. Other 30GB must be kept free not to slow the system and let consider 10GB more to be safe (because HDD or SSD are never at the capacity declared).

128-30-30-10 = 58GB for my data.

This is, for me, not enough to contain all my movies, music and photos. But neither 256 are. So what I plan is to keep movies and part of music and photos in my old PC and in a portable HDD.
    Later on the money saved will be used to buy a Airport Time Machine with 2TB of memory.

17. hachiman macrumors regular

I don't like to worry about another device because of storage space. It may save money at first, but it's a real hassle later on, whether that's using around at home or traveling.

18. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

[Pedantic Mode on]It's a Solid State Drive (SSD), not a Hard Drive. Calling it a Hard Drive is incorrect and can be confusing. :)[Pedantic Mode Off]

The new Haswell MBA/rMBP/iMacs use a "custom" PCIe SSD. As of today you cannot buy a replacement for the SSD to perform your own upgrades. Pre-Haswell Macs used a different interface on their SSDs, and you can get replacements for them. Hopefully it's just a matter of time before Haswell SSD upgrades will be available.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

I wouldnt think like that with a high end machine like mbp.
    RAM is infinitely faster than ssd and if you dont notice in daily use, then you dont need a mbp.
    U might as well use an ipad then...
    People will regret the low ram soon.

20. robvas macrumors 68020

There are a ton of people out there using 128GB Airs...

21. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Had this dilemma when buying my 2012 Retina 13". The real question to ask yourself is if 256GB is even enough?

If you're like me in need 500+ GB of storage, your best bet is to buy the base 128GB model along with a fast Thunderbolt external drive for when you need it. I bought the 1TB LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt and it's great to have that as a backup drive and storage for things I want to keep but barely use.

22. truelies thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is it's not convenient to carry external drive. How difficult is it to update internal hd?

23. PDFierro macrumors 68040

256 is definitely enough to contain my media. I want to be able to download movies/TV shows from iTunes when I need them, and after installing everything else, 128 definitely doesn't provide enough breathing room.

24. Rick-ITA macrumors regular

I think this is the main point.

If I sum up all my music, photos (damn, expecially pictures and raw files) and video, I need more than 1TB.

I prefer to save money and buy an high-speed external drive or an airport time capsule in the future.

25. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Right now, I don't believe it's possible to upgrade the SSD, as no one is selling NGFF PCIe SSDs.

It should be possible as a user upgrade once they are available, depending on what the teardowns for the new models show us.