Only 1gb of RAM on both the iPhone 6 and the 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vgamedude, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

2. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

3. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

And I'm supposed to care, why? As long as it performs well then I don't give a **** about the numbers.

4. vgamedude thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I get either now I might get the iphone 6, I was really hoping for 2gb though. The only thing is reviewers are saying the battery on the 6 is just as good (one even said less) than the 5s, the 6+ on the other hand has a great battery.

I'll have to use them in person and browse to see if the RAM is an issue.

----------

Do you think these numbers are just fluff and have no actual impact on actual performance? You think a .2 ghz processor can perform as well as a 2ghz processor? It's just numbers right?

5. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

never had an issue with RAM...idc

not gonna deter me one bit

6. vgamedude thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm glad. I know some people who are unaware that this can be an issue, and that's good. I wish you the best.

The kind of web browsing I often do is greatly hindered by the refresh and purging.

7. Salvor Hardin macrumors regular

Yeah about that:
    "As with the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display released last year, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are running the same processor, but at different clock speeds. Presumably, the clock-speed difference is tied into battery-life or heat concerns, or both. The iPhone 6’s A8 processor runs at 1.2GHz, while the iPhone 6 Plus clocks in at 1.39GHz, according to GeekBench."
    [​IMG]

8. vgamedude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Although the iphone 6 will likely handle with the paltry 1gb of RAM better as I understand it because the assets it loads in and stores in the RAM are smaller since the phone sports a far lower resolution.

9. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

You just threw the forum into another mad tizzy. Awesome.

10. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

Depends on the software. I could develop a piece of software that will perform perfectly on a 1GHz processor and then I could also develop another piece of software that performs horribly on a 3GHz processor.

All I'm trying to say is that the numbers are not the whole story, and everybody freaking out, left, right, and centre about the 1GB RAM have no idea how it will actually perform. Apple wouldn't release a phone (don't quote me the first gen rMBP) that doesn't perform up to their high standards.

If RAM and processing power were all that mattered, why does the iPhone 5S still compete with some of those Android phones with insane processing speeds and RAM? Please don't quote me the highest benchmarks of each device and say: look this Android phone is better. What matters is SUSTAINED performance, which by and large the iPhone will almost always come out on top.

There are STILL complaints about jitteriness with Android, even with crazy spec'ed phones.

Do you want to know why?

The software is not optimized.

11. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

You (and many others) will care once you get a future iOS update that makes the phone 6/6+ lag due to only have 1gb of RAM or worse yet... gets left for dead on updates by Apple earlier than if it simply had 2gb of RAM.

12. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

Yep you're right, my iPhone 5 is horrifically slow on iOS 7. It wasn't future proof. It wasn't fast enough and didn't have enough RAM when it was released.

/sarcasm

:rolleyes:

You might as well put 1TB of RAM in the phone! It will be future proof!

13. vgamedude thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not only the software. Look at an AMD cpu and an intel cpu and compare single core performance.

Furthermore I'm not even sure what the hell you mean earlier about writing something that performs fine on 1ghz then writing something that performs terribly on 3ghz, if you're intentionally sabotaging software maybe, but that's about the only damn way.

I have used the iPad air pretty extensively and I returned it. An apple device they released and it had constant tab refreshes and app purges because of the pitiful amount of RAM. I'm going to wait to see if this is the case with the new phones, if so I may just not upgrade, or go for a different phone.

14. mac.cali macrumors 65816

15. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I think most of us here are a bit crazy about our iPhones and will more than likely be on board with whatever Apple releases next, so no biggie. ;)

16. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

I never said it was only the software. I said the numbers don't tell the whole story.

17. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

since macworld uk has 2GB maybe those sold in UK will have more ram. :)

18. vgamedude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obviously not but this is a pretty big difference here when standards for phones everywhere else are 2gb and above and you have a company like apple releasing their most expensive phones with only 1gb. Software optimization can only pick up the slack so much.

----------

Lol don't count on it friend, sorry.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Hahahahahaha!

You funny. Try again.

20. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

As long as the phone works like it's supposed too I don't care

21. Gooberton macrumors 65816

THIS!!!! Boom

22. vgamedude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't worry the app purging and tab reloads are supposed to happen.

23. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

iOS and Android are not even in the same league when it comes to software optimization. It's not even close.

24. vgamedude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay? and? I'm sorry but what android does or does not have doesn't excuse apple being exceptionally cheap and putting such a pathetically low amount of RAM into their phones to save 5 dollars a phone.

25. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

You keep comparing the iPhone's RAM to other phones and, presumably, you're talking about Android based phones. You can't use your argument when it's convenient for you and then shut mine down when it's the exact same argument just thrown back at you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.