iPad mini Only 20 secs of retention.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MTShipp, Nov 25, 2013.

1. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

After missing delivery Friday, I received my 128 GB Silver AT&T rMini today.

I immediately powered on and performed the yellow tint and retention test.

The yellowing appears to not be present but image retention is.

I boosted the brightness to 100% and sat on the checkerboard image retention page for 3 minutes then switched to grey. It was there. However, it only lasted 20-30 seconds in each of the 3 tests.

There is no way my local :apple: store has 128GB cell models so undoubtedly they will tell me they would have to order it even if willing to replace it.

To me, my Macbook Pro Retina is for my videos and pictures. My iPad Air is for games and other stuff when not with my Macbook. The rMini is for reading books and other easily-traveled items when I just want it in my pocket. So, honestly, maybe not worth it.

Anyone with similar situation decide it is not worth replacing?

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Do you notice it when you're actually using it, or just when you're artificially testing it?

Clint

3. rrm74001, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

I love how people create their own problems.

"I bought a car the other day. If I rev it at 7500 RPM it for about 10 minutes, it starts to overheat. I will be returning it tomorrow."

4. LJ50 macrumors member

I would ask myself if, in everyday usage, I was ever likely to encounter the image retention problem. From your description, it would seem not. I can't imagine circumstances in which I would have the brightness at 100% on a single, unmoving image for 10 mins. And even in that unusual circumstance would a 20 second wait for the screen to return to normal bother me.

My iPad 3 has noticeable image retention. I've experienced it a few times (and never have brightness more than 60% and never on the same image for 10 mins), but it fades so quickly I'd never even considered it an issue until this latest fuss.

5. MTShipp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Artificially.

----------

I love it when people post irrelevant and unhelpful statements just to increase their post count to gain levels.

6. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

If it's only happening artificially, I wouldn't bother returning it. Who's to say the next screen will be any better? And it very well could be worse.

Clint

7. rrm74001, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

If I told you that your big screen TV also had an image retention issue, would you do an image retention test on it? Or would you continue to use it as you have been and just enjoy it?

8. WashupDawg macrumors regular

In my opinion, everybody should return their devices with image retention. Apple should improve their QC so we don't pay premium for crappy parts.

When I tested my now-returned Retina Mini I could see retention after just a few seconds. It would fade away in just a few seconds as well.

The retention on the new Mini seems less sticky. On my iPad 3 the checkerboard would stick for around 5-7 minutes after I'd run the test for 10 minutes.

9. chabig macrumors 68040

Try this...stare at a bright light for a few minutes then look away. Are you going to return your eyeballs too?

10. wxman2003 Suspended

People who run image retention tests for 5 to 10 minutes to see if they have image retention, have OCD, or a few screws loose. Professional help is needed more than an ipad. That is truly the best advice that can be given.

11. WashupDawg macrumors regular

Come on now, that's a just an immature reponse. You can do better.

The average consumer probably doesn't care about a few scratches on the aluminum back, a dead pixel in the corner on the screen or image retention. It saves Apple money and it's probably why they have such generous return policies. If every single customer returned their devices Apple's profit would tank hard.

Speaking for myself, I've had several devices without image retention. To me it's a step backwards and I don't want to support. Technology progresses, it doesn't go backwards. It's a pain my arse to know that Apple has cut costs on the defining element of their iPad (the screen). I'm convinced that Apple knows about the image retention issues of their Retina Mini screens and that the majority of people don't care. They wanted the device out before Christmas.

At the end of the day, Apple (and any other company) should be happy that all their customers are not perfectionists.

12. chabig macrumors 68040

Couldn't it also be that this "issue" is just a technological limitation brought on by the same progress of which you speak--that this is the thinnest and lightest iPad ever? Give Apple some credit. This is just a made up problem. If it weren't this, it would be something else.

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

What exactly makes you think retention is a problem, if you readily admit you only see it under artficial testing circumstances? And more importantly, what makes you think any replacement won't also have retention?

Less posting, more thinking...

14. GoingDark macrumors 6502

Mine has absolutely terrible image retention on the test everyone's been using (http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html).

I'm not even one of those people who's letting it run for the full 10 minutes - mine retains the grid pattern even after as little as 1 minute, and even only at 50% brightness.

It doesn't really bother me since I haven't noticed the image retention in any real-world use, just in artificial testing situations. Also, for whatever reason, the LTE models are incredibly scarce around these parts, so even if I returned my 32GB rMini, there wouldn't be another model to exchange it with.

I bought the AppleCare+ just in case the problem gets worse over the next two years, but like I said, I haven't noticed it during normal use so to me it's not a big deal.

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

A post a few minutes resulted in my spitting Jack and Coke all the screen. I then cleaned it up and took another drink along with a nacho full of cheese.

What a friggin mess I am trying to clean up now!

16. nj1266 macrumors 6502a

Did you return your iPad 3 as well? If not, then why didn't you?

----------

Try this test and report back if you get. I wager you will not get it. And the pickle is why do you get it on one test and not the other.

http://www.mitchmalone.name/retina-test/

17. tl01 macrumors 68000

Is there any particular reason to return the mini if the issue only happens when you are testing it? Would you ever use it in such a manner?

18. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Why do you assume everyone uses their iPad like yourself?

Being on the same screen on an iPad for 3 minutes is very common for a lot of users. This is a problem that would present itself during normal use.
    See that bar at the top, with the time, signal status etc? Surely that would be on your screen for more than few minutes when browsing safari. Wouldn't it be annoying having that bar ghosting on your screen while you want a video? :rolleyes:

19. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Unless you play chess and stare at checkerboard for hours... :D

20. MacInTheCrack macrumors member

It seems like so many here buy devices just to put them through their paces to prove whether or not Apple screwed up. Same with Mavericks. It's seems like all some do is record boot times and measure how much ram is used just to have something to whine about.

21. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

My iPad 2 has bad IR and I never noticed it for two years until I recently tested it. So I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice it during normal use.

22. FrasierCrane macrumors newbie

You're acting like you have a major case of OCD mixed with a healthy dose of entitlement. Just return it and get a Nexus or a Kindle. Problem solves, aside from the recommended months of psychological help.

23. GoingDark macrumors 6502

You wager correct. I ran this other test for 10 minutes and there was maybe two seconds of retention, unlike the other test where I can run it for two minutes and get 10 seconds of retention.

One of these tests is faulty, but which one?

24. nj1266 macrumors 6502a

Both of them are worthless IMO. Just enjoy your device.

After reading the yellow tint thread I started freaking out about my rMini. Before reading it I was enjoying my device.

Point is, if you look for faults then you will find them.

Forget about all this none sense and enjoy your device. Nothing is perfect in this mass manufactured world. Nothing!!!

25. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Just got my iPad mini with retina display and ran the test. I don't have any yellowing and did not know anything about a retention issue until I read this thread. I did it for only 5 minutes mostly looking at the screen. Then I went to grey and saw some retention. I did it again but this time I didn't look at the screen at all until 5 minutes was up and then switched to grey. I did not notice the retention as much this time if at all. Bottom line: I just switched from an iPad air which arguably has a better screen, but I have not noticed that big of a difference. I'm sure if you put them side by side and compared different pictures, etc you'll probably notice a difference. For normal everyday use I just notice the smaller size and lighter weight.