Only 36GB available!!! WTF!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by anirudh, Feb 23, 2009.

1. anirudh macrumors 6502

Just got a Rev. A SSD.. I dont need much space, but am I supposed to have just 36 GB available of the 64GB SSD?

2. McGilli macrumors 6502

I have the 128gb SSD - and after a clean install of OSX (removing all the languages/fonts/printer drivers) all the fonts and drivers I get about 109 to start with.

So - if your OSX has all the language fonts and printer drivers installed - that could be right?

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Well, the original MBA had 64 GB which is more like 59 GB... The OS X and iLife don't take up that much space, but they will use a considerable amount of the space.

I think, since the OP has the original MBA, that there is upgrade possibility. I think people can buy a PATA ZIF connector SSD that is double the size to give it double the storage.

I never have checked into that as I owned the original MBA but never really used it and never transferred everything on to it. I have the new MBA and I absolutely love it. I have even checked into buying a larger SSD for my new MBA, but there is no SATA-II LIF connecting SSD available from suppliers. So, I think I will have to upgrade to the rev C MBA just to get the 256 GB SSD drive space I need.

That would be rough trying to get all of your files into 36 GB of drive space. I have a hard enough time shuffling around stuff with my 128 GB SSD.

OP, you can use external storage for all of the files you don't need all of the time. I use an AirPort Extreme Base Station with Hard Drive attached. It is easy to use and works excellent.

Best wishes with your MBA.

4. Miker2k macrumors regular

Make sure you do a fresh install following the guide Here.

5. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Sue Apple for false advertisement. :D You paid for 64GB. :D :D :D

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

They put a disclaimer that 64 GB equals 64,000,000,000 bytes, and that is before formatting which isn't really 64 GB. Plus, OS X and iLife 09 take a considerable amount of space. However, I don't think they take anywhere near that much space...

Funny though, like anyone could ever sue Apple and win...

7. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

alright, if I have already installed the OS, is there any way to remove the unnecessary files?? or do I have to do a fresh install?

8. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Monolingual works pretty well. You can remove all languages, print drivers, proc. architecture files that you don't need.
    iDVD, iMovie, Garageband gotta go too. Space hogs.

10. TanToday macrumors member

MUCH MUCH easier if you just use XSLIMMER, AND you will be able to use it after each NEW program is installed.

Learning curve is about 2 min, and it saved me 30% of the space previously used.

I LOVE IT!

[​IMG]

http://www.xslimmer.com/

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ Back when I had a MBAir, Monolingual was the bomb...:cool:

12. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Clean install is quick, easy, and took up only 7 gigs of space once I deleted the hibernation file (2 gigs).

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Do a clean install. It's the quickest solution and doesn't require any third-party utilities. :)

14. EB66 macrumors 6502

im so glad you posted this because i didn't even think of it and i was going to get a 64gb ssd rev a but 40gb is not enough

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Stand in line behind Drew Carey as he sues McDonald's over the Quarter Pounder.

16. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Another reason to go with the rev B... 128 GB SSD or 120 GB HDD.

17. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I hope the 256GB is available in the next revision.

I know it's just 2 128GB but it'd really allow the Air to hold more without constantly worrying about running out of room.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

fixed for you :cool: