Only 50mb for apps?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mahger, Oct 11, 2007.

1. mahger macrumors member

Installer.app tells me I only have about 50mb to install apps. My friend who has an 16gb says it tells him he also has about that much. Is this really all we have?

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

3. db2431 macrumors regular

yes, the touch is gonna cry for a hack to allow hacks off the os partition.

4. mahger thread starter macrumors member

thanks, but apperently touchdev is down right now so ill have to check it out later.

5. recover82 macrumors member

recover82

d'OH! Here is the copy from it.

MoreSpaceForApplications
    From Touchdev

This is how I moved /Applications to my media folder in order to make more room for 3rd party software. First, check to make sure that /private/var is mounted to allow execution. You should be able to check /etc/fstab and the "mount" commands, and not be able to see "noexec" listed anywhere.

# cat /etc/fstab
    /dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    /dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0 2
    # mount
    /dev/disk0s1 on / (hfs, local, noatime)
    devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
    /dev/disk0s2 on /private/var (hfs, local, noatime)

If you see "noexec" listed in /etc/fstab, you will need to modify it and remove "noexec" so that it appears like above. If you make changes to /etc/fstab, reboot the ipod afterwards.

Then you can go ahead and create the new Applications directory, copy your old one over, and create the symlink:

# mkdir /private/var/Applications
    # cp -Rp /Applications/* /private/var/Applications
    # mv /Applications /Applications.backup && ln -s /private/var/Applications/ /Applications

Reboot to make sure your new /Applications is working properly:

# reboot

Afterwards, I moved the backup to the media folder.

# mv /Applications.backup /private/var/Applications.backup

Voila... more free space for applications. :apple:

6. ricecook macrumors regular

ricecook

so i have a 16gb if i jailbreak it and install all that goods i will only have 50 mb then?? so that means all the rest of the 16gb or what ever i have left are not going to be able to use??what a waste of money if i can use all my 16gb.. also will i still have the factory apple apps that it came with and will youtube safari ect that will work..and can i still sync video music ect...thanks

7. EnTg888 macrumors member

50 MB?!?! Mine only reports 18.2 MB. I haven't moved the Applications file folder anywhere, does anyone know what's wrong? Is it because of the ridiculous amount of email that I downloaded then put in the trash bin, then deleted the email account?