Only 6.39 GB in new iPod touch 4G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LinusR, Oct 16, 2011.

1. LinusR macrumors regular

LinusR

Hi guys,

one week ago I bought a new iPod touch 4G, 8 GB capacity. In iTunes I only have 6.39 GB free to put in apps, music etc.. I know that the system needs some space, sometimes some more, but so much? Is this usual or should I have 7 GB minimum?

Thanks for any help,

Linus

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

With the formatting and the needed OS partition, this is normal.

3. chocboy macrumors newbie

Yes, that is normal. My 32 GB has 29 GB available. Hence why the 8 GB is not enough by far because much is required for the actual OS and default apps. I do wish they'd bring back the 16. I mean, 32 GB is too much for me but it's either 29 GB or 6 GB, at the cost of 100 dollars!

To be perfectly honest, I strongly recommend you return it and fork over the 100 to get the 32 GB. Or buy a used iPhone 4 16 GB. 6 GB is fine for songs and a few apps but good luck putting video, TV shows, or heavy apps on it.

4. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

with a wifi connection and soon to be released iTunes match, you'll have much more room

5. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

iOS 4 took 1.5GB
    iOS 5 takes 1.6GB now.

6GB is fine if you can manage it. I have less than 200 songs and 30 apps and I still have 4 GB left. Of course I don't have any movies or tv shows, the remaining space is for HD video recording/other apps.

32GB is too big, 6GB is tight but it works.

6. Des Zac macrumors regular

The only thing I wish is that apple wouldn't advertise it as 8, it's kinda weird.

7. Loyola macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting the topic. At least I didn't have to discover this after purchasing. I need something with more capacity.

Someone mentioned getting the 32 GB however that is out of my price range.

8. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

All companies do this. Apple is not the only one. Besides it does have 8gb of storage, you can only access so much though.
    Have you considered getting a used one? Do you really need a new one? A girl in my class got a iPod touch 3gen 32gb for 80$

9. Loyola macrumors newbie

Right now I am using a Shuffle since my Classic died earlier this year. The Classic was from late 2004. I really got my money's worth out of the Classic. I haven't considered a used one. I know this is gonna sound odd but the thought of used is gross to me because I don't know where it came from.

10. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

32 gb is great. I still have 25 gb left. good to have the space

11. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Does kinda beg the question -- how much memory were you expecting to have?

It's ONLY 8gb.

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

ATM, I have 2.4 Gig left out of 57.9 Gig in my Touch. I would never consider getting less than a 32 Gig Touch.

13. Loyola macrumors newbie

8 GB would be fine for me but I didn't think about the Apps that I might want to have. Right now I have 15 GB of music. 32 GB would be good based on music and apps but the $299 price point for new is not appealing.

My old classic was 20 GB.

The 16 GB Nano might be the best option since the music is more important than the apps.

14. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

8 GB is not enough for me. I don't have much music only about 2 GB but the apps take all the space. I have around 160 apps and they use about 2.5 GB of space. Also you are only getting about 6 GB of working space. All the space I am using now is a little over 8 GB already. They should have released a 16 GB touch for $199 as 8 GB is just not really enough for anyone.

15. rattler macrumors member

Like some other members suggested, you should return it and get a 32GB. Unless you only have music and light apps, those 6.3 GB's will be used up before you know it. Many popular apps (Real Racing, Infinity Blade, Asphalt) take up more than a gigabyte of space.