iPad Only a 10W power adaptor w/ Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eagleglen, Oct 16, 2014.

1. eagleglen macrumors 65816

eagleglen

This is worded rather strangely so it might be a typo, otherwise is seems Apple has gone back to a 10W power adaptor on the iPad Air 2 and even the first Air. But oddly you can buy a 12W separately. Cost savings seems inconsequential so I wonder why.

From the FAQ at the bottom of http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipad/ipad-air-2

2. ayobonus macrumors regular

I just unboxed my iPad Air 2, and I just realized the same thing. I wanted to see if anyone else noticed this, and I found your thread. I wonder why Apple went back to the 10W charger for the Air 2, compared to the 12W charger for the original Air. Could it be perhaps the smaller battery that's in the Air 2?

3. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

That's what I was thinking and really the only thing that makes any sense.... it has to be because of the smaller battery?

4. mutelight macrumors newbie

mutelight

Most likely, so charge speed is hopefully the same. I use the Anker 5-port hub for my phone, watch, and iPad and even with three things connected, it still charges full speed.

I highly recommend it to all, particularly when traveling.

5. rkuo macrumors 6502a

I think it's to give people a reason, no matter how small, to upgrade to the 12w adapter.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Mother of !!!! :mad:

What a low rent move on Apple's part. I stupidly assumed 12w was the new 10w and didn't think there was any going back. How much more could a 12w cost to make. I wish I'd paid more attention. I would have held back the 12w when I sold my Air and given them a spare 10w (with full disclosure, yes, not trying to trick anyone).

7. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

It might be more than just a little increase in margins. I can see them going 10w across all iOS devices, because the iPhone 6 goes faster on an iPad charger. The 6 probably comes with the old charger to clear out inventory.

But maybe the 6 is designed to take a 10w. And since the iPad battery is getting smaller, maybe it makes sense to simplify it across the board.

8. donnaw macrumors 65816

Had not seen Anker before. Just bought one for travel. Thanks!

9. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

+1 for the Anker 5-port charger .... I have 3 and they are brilliant devices. Charges my iPhone 6+, iPad Air, rmini, Jaybird Blubuds, AND my toothbrush all at once :)

10. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

^ This, absolutely!

11. mutelight macrumors newbie

mutelight

You're welcome and enjoy!

They're fantastic, aren't they? Definitely slick little devices and great for a wide range of gadgets with their PowerIQ tech that scales based on the device you plug into the port.

12. Mistweaver macrumors newbie

Thanks just bought one!

13. Nozuka macrumors 68020

i dont think they want to ship the iphone with such a big charger..

14. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

I then bought their 2 port car charger, and also their little cube Bluetooth speaker :)

15. Andydigital macrumors regular

Andydigital

You should be on commission I bought one too.

16. mutelight macrumors newbie

mutelight

Hahaha! I need to ask them for my check! :p

17. xStatiCa macrumors regular

The maximum current draw is determined by the ipad design. You could have a 1000 watt power adapter but it wouldn't make the ipad 3 or ipad air 2 draw any more current than what it is designed for. If the iPad air 2 only draws 9 watts max then it wouldn't matter if you had a 12 watt or 10 watt power adapter. Because the batteries are smaller they will still end up charging about the same amount of time or quicker I suspect.

18. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

This is true, however it would seem a little strange that Apple would reduce the maximum charge rate for this slight reduction in battery size. Even the 6+ can make use of the faster chargers and its battery is tiny in comparison.

Further, even if they limited it for some reason to 9w they could still allow the extra few watts of headroom to be used to power the device so you can use the device while charging and not cut in to the charging power quite so much.

Altogether a curious choice by Apple.

19. Andydigital macrumors regular

Andydigital

True but I still needed another charger and these are that cheap I may as well buy one, as it can charge multiple devices at once.

20. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Actually this is more subtle than it appears. I need to post more data on my website, but if you look at the charging curve on, say, the iPad Mini 2, it really only charges above 2.0A below 7%. The rest of the time on the charger the amps (and therefore, watts) ramp down as the charge level increases.

Point being, the vast majority of the time, the iPad does not draw the maximum amount of power from the charger, and a 10W charger is therefore just as good as a 12W.

Add to that the fact that most people don't run their devices down to zero in the first place, and you can see the potential of the 12W charger almost never gets used.

I don't believe the 12W charger is significantly more expensive to make or add in, so it would be great if it was bundled. But the practical difference is nil due to the above points.

21. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yes, of course but this ignores the fact that the 12w still provides additional power to power the device even if you are not charging at the full 2 amps. ie. even if it ramps down and is only using 6w for much of the charge curve, that leaves only 4w to power the device before you start reducing the charge rate in order to power the device.

This is a subtle point, as I'm not sure too many people use their ipads all that often while charging but it would undoubtedly make a small difference.