Only a 14:9 screen?? That's rubbish!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by joefinan, Dec 8, 2007.

1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Why the hell does the Touch have a 14:9 screen? What good is that? When was the last time you watched something that was filmed in 14:9?

That simply means that anything in 4:3 has vertical bars, anything in 16:9 has horizontal bars and anything in 2.35:1 has massive black bars. With all TV stuff being shot in 16:9 and all films being shot 16:9 protect - then I think, for some strange, odd reason, the Touch's screen should have been in 16:9.

Or maybe I'm just being really stupid and customers just love compromise.

2. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

tap twice on the screen while watching a movie and it will fill the screen.

3. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which cuts off other bits of the frame - more compromise!

4. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

That's true, I hate how every movie I watch either has black bars on one side or another, or has missing parts because I sized it to fit. I think the reason (besides the iPhone's size) is the fact that it allows a better real estate for web browsing and running programs and stuff, it's probably a money/hardware compromise Apple had to make...

5. asmallchild macrumors regular

I'm technology-illiterate.

But Handbrake converts my Entourage DVDs into perfectly sized video files for the iPod Touch.

Full screen, no black bars, no trimming of the borders.

Perfecto.

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

pwnd

Dude, read up on how to use your devices before slagging them off.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

14:9 is a compromise between widescreen and non-widescreen resolutions. You lose a few pixels vertically when watching 16:9 widescreen, but gain more pixels when watching 4:3.

So yes, you're being really stupid and customers love compromise.

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iTouch 1.1.1: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I happen to LOVE the Touch's 4x6 display as it means I no longer have to resize images from Lightroom to export to the Touch. My 4x6 print crop is exactly the same as my 4x6 iTouch crop - I think it's great!! :D

9. aft macrumors regular

if it was 16:9 you'd be the first person to complain about the aspect of tv shows or web browsing some ppl just complain about everything.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No, he doesn't want it to fill the screen sense then you may as well be watching a full frame movie (a bit of an exaggeration). Read the other posts first next time.

Personally I don't think you'd like using a 16:9 screen for general use simply because it'd be a bit too long and thin. A lot of films aren't filmed in any standard ratio so movies really aren't going to fit perfectly anyway. It's not just 16:9 or 2.35:1. But I can see your point with TV shows.

11. isshou macrumors member

isshou

Is it? :confused:

I have never ever watched a film neither in my iPod Video nor in my iPod Touch, and I don't think I will ever do.

I do watch some Video Pocast, the occasional YouTube vids, check my e-mail, follow my eBay auctions, surf the net and listen my music and never ever did I missed any thing with the 14:9 screen, in fact I had not idea of what was its aspect ratio.

To be honest my tired eyes wouldn't stand to watch a couple hours film in such a small screen regardless of its aspect ratio.

Now with due consideration to your opinion, I don't see the point on using such an "acid" vocabulary, unless it makes you feel, this way, your arguments are solid and stronger.

- You can never bake a cake that suits every body's taste -

best regards,
    ro