Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Does anyone think there will be an announcement of push notifications on Tuesday?

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
No. The iPods are still generating enough hype and apple is going to ride that wave as long as possibe

What do iPods have to do with push notifications for the iPhone/iPod Touch?

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Didn't someone post an email "from steve" that said, it wasn't 100% ready for push in 2.1. So they wanted to take a little while more and get it right?

Who knows if it was real but it makes sense. They aren't going to ship notification just to make a deadline at this point.

It will be here when it gets here. And if they need to take longer to do it right, more power to them.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
even if it did, are there any programs that could take advantage of it right off the bat, or would developers have to release new revisions/versions of their apps?

it's been in some of the releases to the developers, but not all.

i'd like to echo Steve's Job's purported words, "let's get it right the first time"

the app crashing bug was so annoying. no other computer (mac/pc/cell phone) has given me so much frustration, except possibly the Ericsson R478 (this was back in 2002, so you know how bitter i am when i remember the model number after all these years. It was right before Sony bought them to become Sony-Ericsson)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I remember seeing somewhere that steve had admitted they were behind schedule as they are trying to get it right. mayb the announcement will coincide with certain other announcements? Mayb two weeks into october perhaps?;)

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Steve's and Apple's history suggests that they often prefer to do things "right" even if they are running behind some previously announced schedule.

There are stories about the original Mac schedule, and how unrealistic is was even with extreme overtime, in a couple of the history books.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
i think that if this is going to happen at all they will announce it on the 14th of October and then it will come out in an update around a week later. I don't really care either way, i don't IM or anything. now bring WoW to the iPhone and then we have something crazy to talk about:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.