Only a question mark on the screen ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jamesamsterdam, Jun 15, 2008.

1. jamesamsterdam macrumors newbie

Hey every one,

When I turn on my note book all that apears on the screen is a question mark ?
    does any one know what it means

thanks
    James

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It can't find a startup volume. Is this a new problem? If you have the CD's that came with it (or a Leopard/Tiger retail DVD), boot from that and run Disk Utility to verify & repair the HDD.

3. jamesamsterdam thread starter macrumors newbie

Only a question mark on the screen ? Reply to Thread

thanks for the reply. its the first time its done it and its a Tiger. Can I download the stuff I need? if so where?

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It's all on your Install (or Retail) CD's.

5. jamesamsterdam thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no cd's any more, they where lost when I moved, Can I download these cd's from somewhere?
    Thanks james

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Unless you have another Mac you could start this one in Target Disk Mode to, you'll need to obtain a retail copy. Currently the only OS that Apple offers via retail channels is Leopard; you may be able to locate a retail copy of Tiger through other sources (like eBay). Avoid purchasing "Install" or Restore" versions, they are machine type-specific.

Apple OS's are not available as downloads (not anywhere legally, anyway), and you'll need a functioning OS to boot this machine to, to determine the nature of the disk problem. Either via Tiger/Leopard CD/DVD or another Mac: those are the available choices.

It is possible--though very unlikely--the HDD in the laptop is disconnected. The iFixit guides are a good source for removal & replacement of drives. If you can hear or feel the drive spinning up when you power on the laptop, then that eliminates a disconnected drive.