Only Account Holders...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pinsleric, Jun 19, 2010.

1. pinsleric macrumors member

According to the Apple store, only the account holder can pick up the phones, and not any authorized users? That really sucks. I mean, it does make some sense, but the fact that my account holder is in AZ and my reserved phones are in IL really does not make this the ideal situation. I'm not happy.

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

3. pinsleric thread starter macrumors member

Not when you're 18, and your parents are paying for your plan. But, I do suppose this would be a situation in which my own plan would come in handy.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

how do you know only account holders can buy the iPhone?

5. pinsleric thread starter macrumors member

I called the store that I reserved my phone at, and that's what they told me.

6. SexyBeast macrumors regular

Authorized users can pick up the phone and make decisions for the account. My wife has been the account holder for our account for years. I've had no problem picking up phones and authorizing the 2 year agreement. You just need to have the account holder's social security number. Apple should be able to see on their end if you are an authorized user to the account. Your parents need to contact AT&T and add you as an authorized user.

7. pinsleric thread starter macrumors member

I hope you're right.

8. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

This is true. Make sure your parents add your name to your line.

9. pinsleric thread starter macrumors member

My name is the name on the number I'm upgrading, so I should be good, right? That makes me feel a thousand times better, thank you!

10. Anticlockwork macrumors newbie

I've talked to apple 3 times about this issue. The apple rep on line said as long as you bring in the email and have all the info needed you'll be able to get the phone. She noted that if you share the same last name you should have no issues. I called my apple store to confirm this and was told that as long as I'm an autherized user and have the needed info then I'll be fine. Finaly I happened to be in the mall for Yankee candle's sale so I went in the apple store and asked and was told the same as when I called. The best thing you can do is to call or go into the store and ask. Have your parents make you an autherized user.

11. SexyBeast macrumors regular

I would still call AT&T and verify that you are an authorized user just in case. For example, I can call AT&T and make changes to the account for both my line and my wife's line. It's like I'm the account holder, but not.

12. pinsleric thread starter macrumors member

Alright, so based on what everyone was saying, I did a little searching of the AT&T website. I found a feature where you can add names to a list of 'Retail Authorized Users', which means that if you're on this list, you can make account changes in AT&T retail stores. Along with adding my name to this list, I checked and made sure that my name was already an Authorized User/Primary User (on my line). I'm still going to go to my Apple Store, and hopefully this should all work out. Thanks for everyone's help!

EDIT: I just found this under the Retail Authorized User link: Retail Authorized Users and Apple Stores - If visiting an Apple store, the primary account holder must be present. I have to call Apple or AT&T tomorrow. This is frustrating.

13. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

i have it set up the same way. once i added myself as an authorized user we were good to go.

14. pinsleric thread starter macrumors member

15. elephunkman macrumors 65816

That's true by what she said. This authorized user thing varies from store to store. At AT&T, authorized users can upgrade and change lines, but not make new contracts. At Apple, it depends on the store.

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

called my store and they said if your authorized you should be good.

17. pinsleric thread starter macrumors member

This is the (hopefully) final verdict. I went in to the store and I talked to the manager. He said that, for that store at least, as long as I can access my AT&T account with my SSN, then I should be good.