only aliases on the desktop?

antonlamont45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
i read somewhere that you sould only have aliases on the desktop, because osx treats everything on the desktop as an open file (whatever that means??)

are there disadvatages to having actual files and folders on the desktop?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I've never heard that before, but then again I don't use the desktop to store anything permanent. I only use it for temporary storage.

thewhitehart

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
antonlamont45 said:
i read somewhere that you sould only have aliases on the desktop, because osx treats everything on the desktop as an open file (whatever that means??)

are there disadvatages to having actual files and folders on the desktop?
Nah, your desktop is just a folder anyway. You can have files and other folders in it. You won't want to have important apps on it though. Put your apps into the Applications folder so others can use them unless you don't want them to.

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
Not quite, but from http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/features/speedtoptips/index.php

Reduce desktop clutter

The desktop can be a great place to drop stuff, but because of the way OSXhandles desktop icons, putting stuff there can also slow your system down. The operating system treats each desktop icon just like a full-size Finder window—the icon takes up a chunk of memory, and the system has to track its position and size at all times. Drop enough files and folders on your desktop, and you may start to notice side effects (such as spinning beach balls) when you’re trying to do something as simple as open a new Finder window.