Only Black and White?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mateo00, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Mateo00 macrumors newbie

Is it just me, or does it seem that Apple has began to be slightly bland with their color choices? To be more specific, their devices (save for the iPod Nano or iPod Shuffle) have merely one or two color options: black or white. I have personally owned both a black and a white device, be it the iPhone 3G, 3GS, iPhone 4, or the 4S. What I'm getting at is: why does Apple not offer more color choices, like some of their iPods have? Black and white can get pretty bland after four years of only two color options. I want a red iPhone 4S. A Ferrari red finish on my Apple device would be absolutely breathtaking. Or cobalt blue. Or neon yellow. Or gunmetal grey, for that matter. How about a hot pink iPhone, or purple? I know their are third party solutions that will custom paint your device (think Colorware), but I don't want to risk voiding my warranty.

So what does everyone think? Are you guys happy with the current color choices we have? Would anyone else like to see multi-colored iDevices?

2. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Spray paint comes in all kinds of fantastic colors (colours for our English friends). :D

3. ras119 macrumors newbie

Eventually, I see them offering custom orders on colors.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. Mateo00 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. jake4ever macrumors regular

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Kwitcher bi***in.

For the longest time black was the only color!

8. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Not a chance.

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Probably not custom but a broader range of colors.

10. HeezyBear macrumors regular

I like the classic look of the black phone. I'm sure if they offered the iPhone in different colors I'd still opt for the black. I can't see myself having a phone that isn't predominantly black unless there was some sort of aluminum color incorporated into it like the original iPhone. At the same time I think it's good to have choices, but I don't see them offering different colors anytime soon. That's just my opinion, though.

11. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

actually I don't see this happening...besides there are 3rd party companies that make custom glass for iPhones in a variety of colors

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Not to mention companies like ZAGG that make skins., where you can add colors, patterns, images or anything you want.

13. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

My opinion of OP's post, is that the more colors they have, they larger possibility they have of un-purchased equipment for certain colors and are not wanting to take the loss on that production.

Just my $0.02

14. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The answer is always no, regardless of question. No one person holds an opinion that no one else holds. Consider that there are 6+ billion people before starting your question with this rampant meme.

How bad do you want it? There's always Colorware but I'm guessing you don't want it that bad.

16. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Bland? [​IMG] Black and White will never go out of style.

There's so many different ways to get color on your iPhone, mods, cases- you can't possibly expect Apple to be able to do something like that.

17. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

The production of iPhones would be a lot more complicated as there would be more variation. They already manufacture different capacities, and two colours. That's already 6 different models. The global GSM+CDMA chip definitely helped cut down on more models.

If they were to do different colours, it would take a long time and extra resources, all Apple Stores would have to stack up for replacements for ALL the colours and so on.

Plus, the iPhone is one of Apple's flagship devices. The black and white are suit for professionals and the like while the iPod nano is target towards youth due to its price. Keep in mind I don't use my iPhone for professional use and more rather am a fan of the iPhone as most people are, but I think Apple has a good strategy for the time being with the current capacities and colours.

18. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

19. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

People are already going crazy trying to decide black or white. Why would you want the situation to be worse?

20. h00ligan macrumors 68030

21. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

22. iKolor_ur_iPhone macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I color change iPhone 4/S for a lot cheaper than $1100, I charge anywhere from $100-$175 for any color. I even change out mid frame to any color.

23. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Most people put a case on their iPhone which gives them the choice of Color texture, etc. Making iPhones in various colors would complicate the manufacturing process and serve no purpose for the majority of owners.

24. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I can't see Apple offering a bunch of different color options. Logistically it gets messy, especially with such a high-demand item. It's hard enough with each release to get the color you want with the storage you want. Adding more colors will just make it worse. What if you want one in black, but the stores by you only have it in red or blue? Do you get a color you don't want just so you can get your hands on one when you want it, or do you wait and see if you can get the right color/storage combination? Offering more options will just make the process more complicated. It works with iPods because they're always in stock; there's not nearly as much demand for them.

Plus Apple isn't going to want to have stock of certain colors left over while people are searching all over for other, more popular colors. It makes much more sense for them to let 3rd party manufacturers continue to design cases and replacement panels in colors.