Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misanthrophy

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Hi,

I am using a MP4.1 ->5.1 on 10.13.6 with BootRom 138... and a NVIDIA GTX TITAN X (MacEdition)

I am only able to boot the computer into the system when I have it connected via HDMI.

When I try to use it headless over Apple Remote Desktop, the MP never boots into the system and gets stuck.

Is this expected product behavior, or can I resolve this issue. Because I am still in search of a perfect monitor for my needs I mainly use it as a media server and cloud station for my personal content/data.

I want to move the MP to another location in my apartment where I do not have a monitor/TV next to it just to get the cable connected, I hope someone can help me here to fix that issue.

Thanks!

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Headless has been an issue with Xserve, MacMini and MacPro for awhile. Using a cheap headless adapter fixes the majority of the issues. Available for both HDMI and DP. Most are under $10.

Reactions: crjackson2134

misanthrophy

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
I THINK when I still used the stock card GT120 it worked without any issues, but not 100%sure.

Okay, so either I buy one of these dummy adapters, or just leave it as it is until I get my final setup with the monitor.

Thanks for your help!

abdyfranco

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2017
Apparently on Mac Pro, when a monitor is not connected the graphics card does not connect to the system, booting without graphics of any kind (so ARD does not work), theoretically it should be possible to enter by SSH to the terminal.

The easiest solution is to buy an adapter, such as a Mini DisplayPort to VGA dongle, and that solves it since the graphics card recognizes it as a monitor.

Although some mention that it also happens in Xserve, I have never had this problem with Xserve, being able to use it completely headless.

Reactions: Traace

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Used to happen on Xserve when using as part of a render engine. No GPU acceleration unless a headless adapter was used. Very slow VNC connections and some other issues. Been years since I've used in this way. If using the traditional Xserve for most usual server functions, headless was never an issue. When the MacPro chassis replaced the traditional Xserve, this was also an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.