Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
This whole time I was planning on doing a cross upgrade. I saw where my dad's account had 2 lines saying "congrats-you are eligible for early iphone upgrade". So I figured that both lines were eligible to get an iphone. I called customer service to find out that means you have to pay $250 over the price of the iphone compared to if it was eligible for a full upgrade. I did not know that.

The good news is one of those lines is eligible for an upgrade November 4th. Since it's so close, AT&T customer service said most actual AT&T retail stores would let me get a full upgrade right now. She said Best Buy or Target would not be able to before November 4th. Is this true? She said they use different systems. I figure BB or Target could just call AT&T, and AT&T would approve it :confused: It's only about 10 days away.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
This whole time I was planning on doing a cross upgrade. I saw where my dad's account had 2 lines saying "congrats-you are eligible for early iphone upgrade". So I figured that both lines were eligible to get an iphone. I called customer service to find out that means you have to pay $250 over the price of the iphone compared to if it was eligible for a full upgrade. I did not know that.

The good news is one of those lines is eligible for an upgrade November 4th. Since it's so close, AT&T customer service said most actual AT&T retail stores would let me get a full upgrade right now. She said Best Buy or Target would not be able to before November 4th. Is this true? She said they use different systems. I figure BB or Target could just call AT&T, and AT&T would approve it :confused: It's only about 10 days away.

OR......now this might be too progressive.....You wait for your upgrade date and buy it wherever you please.

vbtwo31984

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I assume their system would not let them to waive the cost. Otherwise, they would be able to give people discounts at AT&T's expense. You might be able to upgrade, then call AT&T and they'll probably give you a $250 credit, but this is not guaranteed.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I was not eligible for upgrade on 4 lines until the end of this month. I was able to upgrade all 4 lines at Apple and Best Buy at the beginning and middle of this month. AT&T wouldn't allow me to do the same.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I was not eligible for upgrade on 4 lines until the end of this month. I was able to upgrade all 4 lines at Apple and Best Buy at the beginning and middle of this month. AT&T wouldn't allow me to do the same.

So you were able to upgrade at Best Buy and not AT&T? Wow!

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012

How is that? Wouldn't BB have to go through AT&T to get it approved?

----------

Yeah I can verify that Apple will let you upgrade on the 1st of the month you are eligible. While ATT, Sprint, Verizon forces you to wait till the date.

Thanks, Vandy! Wish Apple was a little closer to me. Don't feel like driving 30 minutes to Apple when seems like BB's and Targets near me are getting them in fairly often.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I just called Best Buy and the rep said they cannot do an upgrade 10 days ahead. He said if it's one day early--that's okay. Not 10 days though.

Having a tough time finding one today. I guess I got extremely lucky when I walked into Target 2 Saturday mornings ago and found one!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Yeah I can verify that Apple will let you upgrade on the 1st of the month you are eligible. While ATT, Sprint, Verizon forces you to wait till the date.

ATT will on the 1st day. It's not an Apple thing.

My upgrade date was 30th of October. I didn't want to wait. So I talked with tech support 3 times and kept getting denied. Again and again. OCt 2. came around, I called and asked and they told me..."but your account is already eligible for full discount". I was confused. Then the tech support person confirmed that ATT opens up full upgrade on the first day of the month that you're eligible.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012

Then the tech support person confirmed that ATT opens up full upgrade on the first day of the month that you're eligible.

Good to know. Thanks for everyone's replies.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas

My upgrade date was 30th of October. I didn't want to wait. So I talked with tech support 3 times and kept getting denied. Again and again. OCt 2. came around, I called and asked and they told me..."but your account is already eligible for full discount". I was confused. Then the tech support person confirmed that ATT opens up full upgrade on the first day of the month that you're eligible.

The issue with this is that it depends on the person you talk to and their attitude. I have had many an issue upgrading even a day early. I just know for a fact that Apple will do it regardless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.