ONLY external monitor 4ever: possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bruleke, Sep 14, 2011.

1. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

I have a macbook pro mid 2010 and a Dell 24" monitor.
    I want to use ONLY the external display.
    Ok, I know you will tell me to "connect the monitor to my macbook, close the lid, and move the mouse or hit a key on the external keyboard".
    Yeah, THAT WORKS FINE...

...until my macbook sleeps. Then, if I move the cursor or hit a key on the wireless keyboard, both displays come in action, then I have to do it all again: close the lid and yada yada yada...

Does anybody have a solution? Something like "check this box if you DONT want to use the macbook LCD - never! Even if Godzilla destroys your city and you need to use your macbook".

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sorry, Godzilla has root privileges, so he can do anything he wants with your MacBook. :D

Have you tried turning your display brightness all the way down?

3. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

Yes, I did. But then I will have two monitors and one of these "problems" may occur:

1. extended display (which I dont want);
    2. mirrored display (which causes resolution problems).

Thats why I need something that really turns off my macbook display - although Godzilla has root privileges, he's not welcome to come into my home.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im still waiting on my first mac but on PC there was always a F# key that let you change the display like fnc F4 or F7 on the mac does any of the F keys have a monitor like symbol? usually in there you can say both or external display only

5. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

@iisforiphone: No, there isn't =/

Nobody knows?

6. lauph macrumors regular

Best solution:
    Sell the MBP, buy a Mac Mini. Use the price difference to buy a second monitor.

7. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't see what the problem is*. If you operate with the external display only, then undock and use the internal display only, then close the lid and plug everything back in, it'll only turn on both displays while OS X changes the display arrangement and moves the applications over.

It sounds like you might be opening the display after you start it in clamshell mode, then it falls asleep (with the lid still open) and when you wake it up and it detects both displays. There's no need to have the display opened during clamshell mode (don't let anyone tell you the keyboard is a vent or anything crazy like that.).

*Note, I do wish that we could turn on/off displays via control panel, but it is what it is.

9. samac92 macrumors 6502a

Yeah just leave your MacBook closed.. there's no need to open it.

If you do need to open it and it falls asleep, just remember to close it before waking it again.

10. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

You're right: I use my macbook with mid open lid. The reason I do that is because of the speakers: I dont have external speakers.

Do you think that if I close it and keep like that I wont have this problem anymore?

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yes. But if you ABSOLUTELY have to have those speakers (I know how important that is ;)) then just lift the display after you wake it from sleep. It won't come back on.

12. sman789 Customer Support

sman789

I wonder if anyone has a solution to this, I want to use the backlit keyboard and trackpad on my MBP while connected to an external monitor. I saw a trick on Apple support forums that uses a magnet to sleep the display but it also turns off the keyboard and trackpad.

I somehow managed to trick the system. First time I had the backlit keyboard functioning and trackpad and while internal display was off, through some method with the magnet. I cannot recreate the scenario though. I used a Hot Corner to sleep the external monitor, it would also turn off the backlight for the keyboard. This was exactly what I wanted.

My bro used the laptop and closed it computer and ruined it:eek:.

I somehow got the setup working again but when I would hot corner sleep the back light for the keyboard would stay on.

Now I can't get any where close to what I want.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Here:

From apple support:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3190417?start=165&tstart=0

14. sman789 Customer Support

sman789