only full retail pricing?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ocbaud, Jul 9, 2009.

1. ocbaud macrumors member

So i bought my 3g two weeks after it was released last year.
    If i check on att's site or the apple site, it says i'm only eligible to purchase the 3gs at the full retail price of an assload of money.

I know i won't be eligible for the full discount of $199 or $200 until december, but I thought that I would atleast be able to get the 3gs for a price of say $399/$499 depending on the model.

any input on this?

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I would suggest calling AT&T for clarification.

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Did you get the 3G for the fully subsidized price or did you pay the early upgrade?

4. ocbaud thread starter macrumors member

I paid $499 for my 16gb 3G

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Sounds right to me... your current contract started last year and for the least expensive rate plans, the fully subsidized price is available to the users around December. The $399/$499 pricing is not full retail, rather early upgrade pricing; it is subsidized.

6. ocbaud thread starter macrumors member

so who is eligible for the early upgrade pricing of $399/$499 if not me?

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

People who pay more than $100 a month for their phone, I believe.

Also people who are around 18 months into their 24 month contract.

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

OK, so this is why. That was the "early upgrade price." All current customers are eligible for the early upgrade price unless they have already used an early upgrade in the last 12 months. This would be where you fall in. Since you are not eligible for the full subsidy and you have used an early upgrade in the last 12 months the only option left is full retail pricing.

Nope. You are referring to the full subsidy.

There are three levels of pricing:

Full Subsidy ($199/$299) -> Available to new customer and those who are upgrade eligible.
    Early Upgrade ($399/$499) -> Available to all existing customers who are not upgrade eligible and have not used an early upgrade in the past 12 months.
    Full Retail ($599/$699)

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

All you have to is log onto the AT&T wireless site to see when you can upgrade. No need to call them and keep them from answering all the calls about MMS.

10. ocbaud thread starter macrumors member

ok, thats what i was wondering :) thank you

For some reason, the only time i've heard of the early upgrade deal was for iphone users. I thought I would be able to get that price as long as I was a current 2g or 3g owner

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, that seems to be the most common source of early upgrades, but it is available to non-iphone lines who aren't upgrade eligible as well. Which is rather handy.

12. ocbaud thread starter macrumors member

lol

weird thing is, that when i go to "upgrade eligiblity" on the att site, it doesn't give me a date at all, just says I can upgrade for the full retail price.

I have to dig around on my premier site to actually find the upgrade time, which is december.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, that is weird. When I go there, it says I can upgrade in 8/2010. Perhaps YOU need to call them. :)

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Last year (September) I got my iPhone 3G for an early upgrade price of $499. Then this year, I upgraded to the iPhone 3GS (early) for $499 (32GB). I don't see how your situation is any different than mine. Call AT&T and ask them exactly what they mean by full retail price. For some reason, AT&T might *think* retail pricei s $499.

You should be able to get the iPhone for $499.

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Oops.

16. ocbaud thread starter macrumors member

haha yeah, its been like that for a while

Attached Files:

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you're not current with your AT&T bill, it will show the full retail price for your upgrade option.

18. ocbaud thread starter macrumors member

thats what i was originally thinking

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Perhaps they have a sliding scale for early upgrades like they do for upgrades.

20. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

I was in the exactly situation you are. Everything told me I could only get the "no commitment" pricing (including the guy on the phone). My eligibility date was December 15th 2009. I pay $80 per month and I got my 3G 4 days after launch last year.

Find your nearest AT&T corporate store (NOT an authorized retailer) and ask for the early upgrade pricing...not the "no commitment" pricing which they are telling you now. I tried calling in to AT&T to get this but they didn't have the ability to override my account status...the manager at the corporate store did and easily got me the early upgrade pricing.

People paying more than $100 per month haven't reached their eligibility date either (though they are much closer because of how much they pay per month)...but through the special deal they are getting they get the best pricing (fully subsidized pricing) earlier than they are supposed to...people who pay less than $100 per month can get the early upgrade pricing at most. You just gotta ask the corporate store guys for the override...they'll do it. The guys on the phone are hit and miss...some of them don't give a crap at all. Fortunately the guy I talked to (that's the nice way of putting it) cared a bit and called my local corporate store for me to confirm I could get the pricing there.

21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely, ensure that your bill is up to date ($100 per month plan) and you'll receive your subsidized $199/$299 pricing if you are in the 12 month window for July/August/September....:cool::cool::cool:

22. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I bought my 3G on December 23, 2008. I had the 450 + 200 sms and was eligible for the $499 on June 19. The amount you oay doesn't matter as I had the basic iPhone plan.

23. meagain macrumors 68030

Rather than pay $399/499 each year to upgrade, it seems the most affordable option is to pay the $599/699 and get it over with. I did that with the 3GS so now next year I'm locked in for whatever the lowest price is that they'll throw at us.