Only Getting 2 Channel Audio from certain Apps

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Aragornii, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Aragornii macrumors 6502

I have a bunch of network TV apps, ESPN, Fox, etc., and they all only output 2 channel audio. I know that's not true for all apps. Plex for example outputs 5.1 channel audio just fine.

Is there a setting I'm missing or is 2 channel audio the only thing that's possible with all the cable network apps?

2. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

If you connect ATV to the TV via HDMI, many TV's won't handle surround sound pass-through to the home theater (audio) system. It'll be 2 channel only. They require optical connection or using the ARC HDMI port for surround sound. Connecting ATV directly to the home theater system solves that. Not sure if this is your situation.

3. Aragornii thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I am connected directly and get surround sound from certain apps such as Netflix. It's just ESPN and a lot of TV network apps that don't have surround. I wonder if it's limited on the provider end?

4. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Yeah, it sounds like maybe on the provider end. I know not all cable companies are consistent in putting out surround sound vs 2 channel, and some of these apps may be following that model.