Only Getting 5 - 6 Hours MOST from October, 2013 MacBook Pro :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by treepuppy, Nov 7, 2013.

1. treepuppy macrumors newbie

Just bought my first Mac. I got the 13" rMBP.. the $1,500 one with the i5 processor and 256 GB SSD.

Now I would not be that disappointed if Apple didn't specifically list "9 hours" of battery life for this device.

I have tried keeping screen brightness at 50% and I next just turned on "automatic" screen brightness. But no matter what I do I just can't seem to get over 6 hours.. has been the record so far. I barely even get to 5 hours after fully charging the computer.

The only thing I'm plugging into the USB ports is a mouse.. but I find I get the same battery life regardless of the mouse. Just want to clarify that. And I also have Bluetooth off. And I am not running any unnecessary programs and I have the volume turned low. I am primarily using the laptop for e-mail, web browsing, and the occasional mp3.

Did I get a defective unit? Or are other people having the same issues? Is this normal with MBPs? So many questions.. Any tips to help me try to improve battery life.

Thanks for any help. I really want to love this computer and right now I love everything else, except for the battery life I'm getting.

2. wkam macrumors member

3. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

4. treepuppy thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a brand new battery.

I did read about calibrating battery. But I have already used the whole battery down to 1% and then fully recharged it. Doesn't seem to be helping any.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

Apple's battery estimates are based on very specific conditions, which are likely very different from your real-world usage. There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

6. treepuppy thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting I didn't know Safari is better for battery life. Any link to back that claim up? Just wondering. I am pretty deep into the Google ecosystem.. so it's a bit hard to switch. But I will give it a try. thanks

Yeah.. I really don't have ANY apps running besides Chrome and VLC.

----------

ok

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

To me, computer manufacturers battery life claims are like car manufactures "MPG" claims -- they tell you the best results from tests that aren't "real world" for how most people will use the computer/drive the car. Take them both with a big grain of salt.

Apple covers their butt by saying battery life is "Up to 9 hours". That's not the same thing as them saying "battery life is 9 hours".

Secondly, here's the test they used to get that amazing battery life estimate:
    http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

My guess is that you don't just let your new rMBP sit there for 9 hours only running a script that surfs between 25 popular websites. Oh, and Apple didn't have Adobe Flash installed when they did that test. Any additional CPU usage (like checking email or listening to MP3s) is going to cause you to get less battery life than their test.

If you're getting 6 hours of of "real world" usage, that's probably about right, and I wouldn't worry about it! :)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have a lot more running than you know. Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

9. sabbyp macrumors regular

if you've only run it through 1-2 cycles this is not uncommon, it'll take a few more cycles to be accurate.

also remember apple don't give you 9 hours based on 100% brightness and heavy cpu/gpu loads.

10. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

The great thing is that OS X now has tools to help you monitor power consumption. If you open Activity Monitor and go to the Energy tab, it will tell you exactly what's eating up your battery life.

I can tell you now though, that using Chrome rather than Safari, and VLC rather than QuickTime/iTunes will be the main culprits. VLC is particularly bad for battery life in my experience. Unfortunately QuickTime has limited codec support, and I don't know of anything else with wide codec support which is more efficient than VLC on OS X.

If you switch to Safari with Power Saver enabled, it will stop Flash running automatically, which is a big thing that eats into your battery life.
    If you install the YouTube5 extension for Safari, you will further improve your battery life, as it replaces the video player on many sites (not just YouTube) with an HTML5 native player that has a significantly lower energy impact than Flash.

If you want to stick with Chrome, at least see if there's a way to prevent Flash from running automatically.

11. channelinspire macrumors member

channelinspire

I use Chrome and VLC on my mini but on the MBPr, I use Safari and install clicktoplugin. I have flash installed and my battery life is great. 10-11 hours easily on 50% brightness and browsing non stop with tweetbot running. I even run istat menus and wanderlist.

12. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

There should be no need for ClickToPlugin with the latest Safari. Just enable Power Saver.

YouTube5 will help reduce power consumption for those times when you would be enabling Flash.

13. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Not a marketer, but I recommend buying or using something like Little Snitch. Many sites and applications like going out making requests here and there, many of which you probably don't want and care about. I noticed some improvement in battery life just because I was able to block these connections from being made to advertising servers.

14. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

studying at uni:

wifi + chrome (no flash) + pdf in preview + brightness at 3rd lowest notch =
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i'd say that's pretty good, never have to take my charger even when i plan to spend the full day at the library studying

it all depends on your usage, flash can kill your battery, brightness is the main killer though

15. Paapaa macrumors member

Also, Dropbox is reportedly giving a big hit to battery life. Uninstall it to see the impact.

16. gymnast79 macrumors newbie

Follow my rule of thumb.

How much Apple claims battery lasts / 2 = Real life battery duration.

It never fails.

17. DaRealElvis macrumors member

Your full capacity shows 8957 mAh. My battery says full capacity is 6469! Do I have worse battery than???? (See attachment)

Attached Files:

18. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

I had both Chrome and Safari installed on my haswell 13" MBP (i5, 256, stock RAM) and was using Safari normally (browsing, some video, bit of iplayer etc) and Chrome was sitting idle on the google home page. I checked Activity monitor and the "average energy impact" value for Chrome was about 8 while Safari was at 1. This value is an arbitrary unitless dimension that Apple chose to compare the relative energy use of different apps to each other, so by that metric assuming it is accurate, Chrome was hurting battery life while it sat idle far more than Safari when I was actively using it.

Have a look and see what happens if you switch to Safari for a while, or have both browsers running some light tasks and compare using activity monitor's energy tab.

19. EatingApples macrumors member

wow...that is strange?!

20. DaRealElvis macrumors member

I have a 13" could that be the reason? Maybe the 15" has a bigger battery and hence a higher max capacity?

Could someone confirm please? :eek:

21. Snookerman macrumors 6502

Have you installed the updates that came yesterday? My battery seems to have improved after that.

22. Paapaa macrumors member

13" has a 71.8 Wh battery and 15" has a 95 Wh battery. Definitely not the same size. 13" has longer battery life, however. (Because of the smaller screen.)

23. DaRealElvis macrumors member

Thank you! :) So the lower full charge capacity of 6469 mAh is normal? Could anyone with a late 31" rMBP confirm that?

24. lg251 macrumors 6502

Is this widget?

25. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Everyone's mileage will vary...