Only getting left channel in Garageband. Ugh

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Aniday, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Aniday macrumors regular

I did some searching and I didn't find an answer.. so don't whine.

Anyway. I plugged my Yamaha Clavinova into my 15" Unibody Macbook Pro and I'm only getting the left channel in Garageband and I'd love it to be Stereo.

I'm using a stereo cable and my Clavinova is definitely able to send stereo.

I do hope the MBP has a stereo line-in. I'd rather not have to get a dongle.

Any ideas?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Try some tests.

FIRST: Are you sure it is a stereo cable. What connector is on each end. The Mac end would be a 3.5mm TRS. Is that what you have? Do you have a multi-meter and can you test that "ring" is right and tip is left with the sleave being the common ground. If the end is "TS" that is the problem.

OK assuming you have the correct cable....

Pull the cable out of the MBP's line in jack and put it in a pair of powered speakers. can you hear both channels? Could be as simple as a broken cable.

Get a stereo device like an iPod and try connecting that to the MBP and see if you get both channels. Could be that your MBP can't record stereo. The user manual does not say. The jack could be broken. Apple seems to use low audio quality jacks.

Are there other ways to connect? Does the keyboard have S/PDIF output. If so that is by far the best way to go. Does it have midi out?

3. Aniday thread starter macrumors regular

I've got the correct cable and everything and I discovered my Mac can indeed record audio.

For the project I was working on I didn't want to use the MIDI out, which has worked before. The native Clavinova piano sample sounds better than Garagebands Piano.

I tried another output... which was the headphone jack.. and got stereo. Haha. Weird.